The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 11:19 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about
Default Flyfishing for Sauger...

I have caught a few small Sauger by accident in a local river, but understand that there is a good run of large fish near my home. Does anybody have any ideas for consistently catching them on the fly?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:10 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flyfishing for Sauger...

Awsome! This is the first time I have ever seen anyone ever talk about getting Sauger on a fly rod. Not just on the forum, but anywhere. I am going to have to upload some photos to somewhere so I can post them, but I have. Summer before last I got a bruiser Sauger in one of my favorite big Walleye spots. It's the only Sauger I ever caught there. Down in the main river near town I get them fairly often, but they have never been particularly big.

By big I should also point out that our strain of Sauger is not a big one. Which is odd considering that other than Pumpkinseed and Sauger, everything else here gets gigantic.

I get them fishing for Walleye using Clousers. I'll post photos later today.
piscatorial_phd likes this.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:10 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Have caught them when fishing for Walleye . Clousers work very well! White and blue, green and blue and all white or all green good combos.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-14-2013, 12:31 PM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road

I will be going for them in my local rivers this spring. I hear that they have a good spring run here, though I have not experienced this myself.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:54 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I've popped a few in the park section of the Clear Fork but didn't target them. I know some other the other streams around there get a fair amount along with wipers, I'll have to give it a shot.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Wipers???....do tell wild Bill
Old 03-14-2013, 09:36 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Yeah the Black Fork, or so I've been told. I've never really went out with them on my mind but every once and a while I'd hook one on the Clear Fork and it'd dam near rip the rod from my hand. All the ones I've caught were down close to the confluence.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:38 AM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road

Sauger are difficult to specifically target with any tackle, let alone fly tackle. I am located near you (SW Ohio) so our conditions are similar. With spinning tackle I've had success with heavy jigs and minnow plugs, so with flies I would assume clousers and streamers would be good. And you will need to get them down to where the fish are; sauger are NOT surface feeders.
Really the best advice is to go to the river and go bass fishing, and you may catch some. Try the heads and tailouts of pools.
EDIT: second thought, if you have any dams near you, that would be a good place to look.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:19 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Below dams in the early spring here in TN. Some fellas do chase them in the lakes and have some success. I understand that spring is a spawning run for them. Jigs are the normal offering with spinning so clousers should be the correct tool.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofamberley View Post
Sauger are difficult to specifically target with any tackle,
Actually that's not true here. It isn't fly fishing but in the Lake of the Woods where I live, I can whack the snot out of them out in the deep basin of Big Traverse Bay, by downrigging crankbaits. If you want to avoid the Sauger, you bring the crankbait farther off the bottom. If you want the Sauger you skim the bottom.

We have a limit that seperates Walleye and Sauger, unlike most places where they combine them as a single Walleyeish type fish. So in order to limit out, you need to be able to target the Sauger.

Also, early in the season you can find large schools of them quite shallow. Generally you can get into them where there are few if any Walleye mixed in. The resorts here try and target the Sauger with a pretty fair amount of success in the winter. They try and just do Walleye Summer, and Sauger Winter. You get the strays like I said, but the bulk of the winter harvest is Sauger, Summer it's Walleye.

Once when I was working for the fisheries dept. here, we needed to collect a bunch of Saugers for some stocking thing someplace else. (We do zero stocking here) We got them by fishing for them. It was kind of fun. We got into the Sauger in shallow like I mentioned they do, and got a pile of them and very few Walleye.

Ice fishing here, you can get out in the main basin and fish the deeper spots for days without getting a Walleye and clobber Sauger all day long.

You can target them and get primarily Sauger, but just like Walleye fishing where you get the stray Sauger, you are going to get the stray Walleye.

Also, I wouldn't say that Sauger are not surface feeders. They are rarely surface feeders, but the key word is rarely, not never. Same with Walleye. Fall before last Bill and I got almost all of our Walleye on or very near the surface. I have seen them hit emerging Mayflies and drowned spinners. The Walleyes were hitting Emerald Shiners running just under the surface in the dark.

There is a common misconception that Walleye and Sauger will not bite if suspended. It is completely untrue. People that believe that miss out on a lot of fish.

By the way, where were you planning to fish for them?