The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 07:55 PM

leftys brother is on a distinguished road
Default Winter Smallmouth

Good Day All,
Read a few articles that said smallmouth are active all year. So I went and tried my luck of which I had none. Tried at 41 degree water temp, 45 water temp and 49 water temp. Any tips from the gurus?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:34 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Winter Smallmouth

Hey LB; 41, 45 and 49 Huh? There's your problem-- you didn't try 42,43,44,46,47,48, or 50.....

All kidding aside, we need more details about the water (still water or moving? location?) , what tactics you were using (streamers? top water? etc.?) , there will be plenty of info and suggestion if we could get more specifics and details from you.

Also, Welcome! we like to hear of everyone's adventures and successes. We also like pictures. LOL
Old 03-20-2013, 09:04 PM

Raindogt your prob. right. That seems the way of fishing. Unfortunately work gets in the way of all the temps in between.
Water is fairly fast moving Ozark Mtn. stream but have been fishing primarily pools. water is/was .5' over average ever so slightly stained. threw everything I had at every retrieve I could invent.
Even tried the Shhhh float and fly all to no avail.
jd

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Did not try top waters. Figured no self respecting SM would be seen above the 6' line this time of year.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:05 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

DETAILS!Location,river or lake,flys used,depth etc. Yes they feed but they slow down. Ask your brother! Just kidding, welcome to the forum!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-20-2013, 09:36 PM

We have a rule never talk about business at the family gatherings.
Ok slow is what speed of retrieve? and for discussion lets assume we are using a Chart. over white deceiver
J

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

And to be more precise: Arkansas, River, fished red butt skunk, various deceivers, clousers, dace, ghost, supervisor, half&half, chart crystal bugger, and some sort of Cray pattern but that was mostly to see if I could throw it with the new line. circus peanut, hot flash minnow, dirty hippie and some sort of rabbit strip minnow with lots of flash.
A little outdoors trig. would lead me to say I fished mostly at the 10' line based on leader/tippet length and speed.
J
theboz likes this.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:56 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Good comeback! You'll fit in great here!
Don't know the Arkansas but river smallmouth and cold water small sinking (deep) flys and short slow 2 inch strip retrieves . I like to fish current breaks (similar to winter steelhead ) in deeper pools . The rocks with the biggest drop in front of the downstream side and can't stress enough about slow. I also like small to medium weighted nymphs and stoneflys in the winter and to have them in dark colors and again fished slow. I'll also like to swing steamers through the current( again like steelhead) like small Mickey FInns and Black Nose Dace.
If Diver Dan sees this I'm sure he can said some light as he fishes very cold water for smallies.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-21-2013, 05:27 AM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

Too,early,cold,fast,deep.

Charlie
45fisher likes this.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:50 AM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

^^^ what he said
Old 03-21-2013, 07:39 AM

How,early,cold,fast,deep?
frogg likes this.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:43 AM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

Most of the time when I'm bass fishing in the winter I don't use a fly rod I know don't hate me. But I don't have a setup for it. Because wintertime bass fishing is Slowwwww!! An deep!! Most of the time I throw a senko worm In 20 feet of water where I know cover is and let it sit for 30 seconds even a minute then barely twitch it and do the same thing over and over covering water very slowly.