First decent carp of the year

john montana

Reaction score
I have been out a couple of times with pretty good early season success, including one 16 lber, but this was the first "hot" fish I picked up. 17 lbs, but a typical apex athlete fish...no backing runs, but a good battle with a beautiful carp.

The water is getting warmer, the fish are getting more active...you have to love spring! Most of the fishi have been catching have been in the 7-10lb range, but the big ones will come in shallow soon!

Winter is over! Anyone else out after carp?

theboz

Reaction score
Nice fish John! Fishing in the canals in Miami last week saw 2 grassies cruising past the boat that were so enormous prompted my son into saying "WHAT ARE THOSE MONSTER TARPON DOING IN HERE!"Would have loved a shot at one but they were on the move and as our guide said couple of weeks before the mulberries start dropping then you have a shot at them.Awesome looking fish!

pkins44

Reaction score
Beautiful fish John!! The carp have just started cruising around me and plan on chasing them quite a bit this summer. I can't wait to see more of the carp you bring in.

john montana

Reaction score
Thanks! I fish mostly 7 wts...been using an orvis Helios 2 this spring, great rod! The average size fish out here is about 9-10 lbs, but I catch them up to 30, so a 7 or 8 is about as light as I would go.

nick k

Reaction score
Winter isn't completely over yet by me, but looking to try out carpin for the first time this spring.

That carp looks a little more than decent to me, great job.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Winter is finally lossing its battle with spring here...last night I saw them tailing in my storm drain. Im excited.

frogg

Reaction score
Winter isn't completely over yet by me, but looking to try out carpin for the first time this spring.

That carp looks a little more than decent to me, great job.

Yeah, what he said ^
I'm hoping to break in my 10' 8wt Sevier on a fat carp!

Chris

shimloom

Reaction score
John, awesome fish and pics. Do you have someone with you to take those shots? It looks like they should be in a fly fishing magazine!

Craig

john montana

Reaction score
My friend david was with me Saturday. He is a great photographer. I do use a gorilla pod to get some pics when I am by myself, but it helps to have a buddy like david. He takes some great pictures.

I fished yesterday and just slayed fish. It was crazy. Didn't take too many pics, was too busy catching but here are two more taken with the gorilla pod.