The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 07:58 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough
Default First decent carp of the year

I have been out a couple of times with pretty good early season success, including one 16 lber, but this was the first "hot" fish I picked up. 17 lbs, but a typical apex athlete fish...no backing runs, but a good battle with a beautiful carp.

Click the image to open in full size.

The water is getting warmer, the fish are getting more active...you have to love spring! Most of the fishi have been catching have been in the 7-10lb range, but the big ones will come in shallow soon!

Click the image to open in full size.

Winter is over! Anyone else out after carp?
mcnerney, jpbfly, pkins44 and 3 others like this.

Carp on the Fly
Old 04-01-2013, 08:19 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First decent carp of the year

Nice fish John! Fishing in the canals in Miami last week saw 2 grassies cruising past the boat that were so enormous prompted my son into saying "WHAT ARE THOSE MONSTER TARPON DOING IN HERE!"Would have loved a shot at one but they were on the move and as our guide said couple of weeks before the mulberries start dropping then you have a shot at them.Awesome looking fish!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

John: Great looking fish, congrats!

Old 04-01-2013, 09:53 PM

pkins44 will become famous soon enoughpkins44 will become famous soon enough

Beautiful fish John!! The carp have just started cruising around me and plan on chasing them quite a bit this summer. I can't wait to see more of the carp you bring in.

http://www.dupageriverflyfishing.com
Old 04-01-2013, 09:53 PM

jimmorgan is on a distinguished road

What weight rod do you need for something like that?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:14 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Thanks! I fish mostly 7 wts...been using an orvis Helios 2 this spring, great rod! The average size fish out here is about 9-10 lbs, but I catch them up to 30, so a 7 or 8 is about as light as I would go.
jimmorgan likes this.

Carp on the Fly
Old 04-02-2013, 07:09 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Winter isn't completely over yet by me, but looking to try out carpin for the first time this spring.

That carp looks a little more than decent to me, great job.
frogg likes this.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:38 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Winter is finally lossing its battle with spring here...last night I saw them tailing in my storm drain. Im excited.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful one John
Old 04-02-2013, 09:52 PM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Winter isn't completely over yet by me, but looking to try out carpin for the first time this spring.

That carp looks a little more than decent to me, great job.

Yeah, what he said ^
I'm hoping to break in my 10' 8wt Sevier on a fat carp!

Chris