The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 12:17 AM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about
Default The mulberry "hatch"--CARP

Looking forward to some of the best fly fishing of the spring this year. Carp on dry flies during the mulberry bloom!! Tried this last year and it was some of the most exciting fly fishing I've ever done. wade into a river that is know to have ripe mulberries dropping into the water from the shoreline trees. If you find mulberry trees near the water your bound to find carp literally stacked under these trees all trying to get at the ripe berries as they fall into the water. I have found that yarn clown eggs with some floatant rubbed in work fantastic. Simply shoot one under a mulberry tree and hang on. The action can and will be sometimes unbelievable!! Give it a try this year for sure!! A couple times last year I pulled 8 to 10 fish under one tree in short order. When they shut off just leave them alone for about a half an our then go back. They'll be stacked up and feeding again. Once the berries are gone so are the carp, but what fun!!
Old 04-03-2013, 01:38 AM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The mulberry "hatch"--CARP

I get about two weeks a year when they are eating berries...it is awesome.

Carp on the Fly
Old 04-03-2013, 01:52 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like so much fun I googled the range of Mulberry trees. They are all over. Except Nevada. I'm going to have to travel to somewhere with Carp and fish them this year. No Carp here.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:33 AM

fichy will become famous soon enough

I use a foam and estaz berry fly, but before that I used dyed spun deer hair.
The egg fly with floatant sounds pretty easy, though. Have to raid my steelhead box. One of the very few opportunities I have to catch carp on the surface. I stop at this tree in the pic watching the berries ripen every year. I have to be stealthy to not scare my chumming buddies, the squirrels. I'll look forward to your reports.

Click the image to open in full size.

Charlie
Old 04-03-2013, 08:43 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

We have many mullberry trees here, and some of them will fruit almost all summer long. So in a few weeks when the berries start to sappear until about August i can cast dry foam mullberries at the carp and catch them. I also make a subsurface mullberry that they never refuse even once the berries are gone...they just love those things.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-03-2013, 11:30 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

You guys are going to laugh, but I get those soft earplugs in mulberry purple, run a hook through it like a Bob's Banger popper, touch it with a lighter to get that mulberry shape and have a blast. I used to find the earplugs at CVS. If you can't find purpose you can always buy the white and go at it with a purple sharpie or airbrush it with Createx paint. You can even dip it in some blackberry jam!

After looking at Charlie's foam fly I am thinking that I might try to find the bright green earplugs and paint a purple pattern on it.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:22 PM

namekagon is on a distinguished road

Up here it's the cottonwood seed hatch,,,usually in mid June.
a #10

Old 04-03-2013, 09:46 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Back before many of you were around I discovered the Mulberry connection and imitating them even though I didn't have a fly rod around that day. Some bit of cotton from a torn shirt, wrapped and shaped on a hook, squashed Mulberries to color it and giving the best fly cast that one can with a five foot casting rod while hiding behind the tree truck accounted for several fish that day. That was in Springfield, Ohio, Snyder Park, circa 1950. Since then I've caught the hatch several times with a more appropriate fly rod and deer hair Mulberry flies and had a ball.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 04-04-2013, 08:29 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by namekagon View Post
Up here it's the cottonwood seed hatch,,,usually in mid June.
a #10

That is a great looking fly! Around here, the water is so clear that the grassies are very line and hook shy so I have to tie a more traditional dry pattern, all white with hook covered. It is amazing though to watch a 20 lb fish chasing a seed blowing across the surface of the pond.

---------- Post added at 07:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
Back before many of you were around I discovered the Mulberry connection and imitating them even though I didn't have a fly rod around that day. Some bit of cotton from a torn shirt, wrapped and shaped on a hook, squashed Mulberries to color it and giving the best fly cast that one can with a five foot casting rod while hiding behind the tree truck accounted for several fish that day. That was in Springfield, Ohio, Snyder Park, circa 1950. Since then I've caught the hatch several times with a more appropriate fly rod and deer hair Mulberry flies and had a ball.
Talk about a small world, I grew up in Springfield, OH, went to church on Maiden Lane Av. and had many carpin' days at Snyder Park in the 70s and 80s. Most of my family still lives in Springfield. Would you believe that Mad River now holds 20" - 30" brownies?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscatorial_phd View Post
You guys are going to laugh, but I get those soft earplugs in mulberry purple, run a hook through it like a Bob's Banger popper, touch it with a lighter to get that mulberry shape and have a blast.
I wouldn't laugh. I use them to make tube fly poppers. I even have the purple ones. I got them at the drug store.
stl_geoff and chuck s like this.