The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 6 Post By nick k
  • 1 Post By nick k
  • 3 Post By nick k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 07:49 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default Baby bassin', finally!

Spring weather is finally starting to touch MA and I had my first successful trip of the season this weekend at a local pond.

The bass were all still pretty small but I brought in about 8 or 9 of them plus one small bluegill.

The MVP fly by far was one of my own creation, accounting for about 5 of the bass. I posted some picture of it below (sorry for how poor quality they are, hard to get a good shot of it considering its shape and size). This fly is also the best I've ever used on bream. It is a simple creation, comprised of brown chenille (with specks of flash) and hard plastic (from hook bags) as wings). The beauty of this fly is that it covers the whole water column. If you let it sink and strip it with long pauses, it will bounce off the bottom. If you strip it normal speed, it will cruise along in the middle of the water column. Because of the wings, and the fact that the water goes under them and pushes it up when it moves, a fast strip will have it skimming the surface.

It's been a LONG winter here I'm happy to announce that the fishing is officially on in eastern MA.

Click the image to open in full size.

Biggest bass of the day
Old 04-16-2013, 03:22 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Baby bassin', finally!

nice fly and fish. congrats
Old 04-16-2013, 03:35 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I'm going have to try to tye some of those up for the bass this summer. What size hook did you use?

Be patient and calm for no one can catch fish in anger. Herbert Hoover
Old 04-16-2013, 03:53 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Thanks guys.

Baseman1: I used size 10 scud hooks, the thick wire ones. The wings are made of the thick plastic (specifically from Orvis hook bags, but any type of thick clear plastic will do). I cut about 4 strips of the plastic and tie an X over the top. Put a little super glue on the X when you're done and it will hold great. The body is just one simple piece of brown chenille that has flecks of flash built in. They only take about 5 mins to tie and the bluegills and baby bass go NUTS for them. Sometimes the wings come off and they even work fine with just the chenille. I'm convinced this pattern could be professionally popular if it had the chance. For me, it often out fishes every other pattern I have. You can make them in different colors, but I have found this one to be best.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:14 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Awesome thanks for the tips. I have a bass hide out behind my house so these will get a good try this summer.

Be patient and calm for no one can catch fish in anger. Herbert Hoover
Old 04-16-2013, 06:33 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for sharing. I will definitely tie some of these. Like the creative and inexpensive wing material.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:18 PM

Here are some more pictures of the fly that I just took:

I also use the same method of plastic wings to make dragonfly flies:

Those are all fairly old. I've gotten much better and make very nice ones now, mostly with foam bodies instead of the blue deer hair. They give you a good perspective on how the plastic can work for many different creations. I save all my hook bags for this purpose.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:39 PM

mryan2176 is on a distinguished road

Those are great looking flies and bass. Going to have to give the ponds around here in upstate New York a try.