The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 07:01 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Shad are in :)

I figured I'd get my Delaware River fix handled before the salt heats up. Beautiful day on the river and the fishing was pretty good. No Smallies but the Shad had tons of fight in them. Finally got a chance to meet up with John Boz but he brought a camera instead of a flyrod

If you've ever fished Worthington you know how looong this light is. Especially on the way in
Click the image to open in full size.

Fish on

I have to teach Gina to zoom.

Come on, bite it...

Old 04-18-2013, 10:48 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Shad are in :)

That looks like a nice stretch of river. Picture number three shows a nice seam line. I can't tell. Is that a Hickory Shad or an American Shad?

Good post.

Dennis

PS: Here in California, the American Shad run is running late. Grrr....
Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
That looks like a nice stretch of river. Picture number three shows a nice seam line. I can't tell. Is that a Hickory Shad or an American Shad?

Good post.

Dennis

PS: Here in California, the American Shad run is running late. Grrr....
Thanks Dennis, those are American Shad. Last year actually started a little earlier for us. This years seems to be back on schedule.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:24 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

They are sooooo much fun! The saying is when the cottonwoods start losing their fluff the shad are due in the Sac and American Rivers...I hear they are arriving in Sacramento now too. I hope I get to fish them this year.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
They are sooooo much fun! The saying is when the cottonwoods start losing their fluff the shad are due in the Sac and American Rivers...I hear they are arriving in Sacramento now too. I hope I get to fish them this year.
It's a great 6wt fish, especially when they take a run down river. We've had 20+ fish days up there, actually went home with sore arms a few times last year.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:24 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I am envious. Been reading in fishing mags since 60's about catching shad. We just don't have them here in Texas but I have these on my flyfishing "bucket list".

Like your fishing buddy, does he ever hire out to pole flats boats?

Pete A.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete a View Post
I am envious. Been reading in fishing mags since 60's about catching shad. We just don't have them here in Texas but I have these on my flyfishing "bucket list".

Like your fishing buddy, does he ever hire out to pole flats boats?

Pete A.
Thanks Pete. I'm having a hell of a time teaching her not to chase my back cast. If I ever dip one too far back we'll both be in trouble!
Old 04-18-2013, 01:43 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

How did you do at the next spot? It was cool meeting you and your lovely lady and your dog! Next time it will be fishing, oh and the old guy never did hook up!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-18-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
How did you do at the next spot? It was cool meeting you and your lovely lady and your dog! Next time it will be fishing, oh and the old guy never did hook up!
It was great to finally meet you. I felt bad, we were catching fish on either side of him and he was doing everything right too! I did better by the campgrounds, picked up another 5 before I left. The hatches going on down there were insane, I can't believe I didn't one Smallie come up. At one point I was surrounded by bugs (that's why I was wearing my hood) and Gina said "shouldn't we find another spot?" LMAO.
I'm looking out at these overcast skies and wondering why I didn't take today off. Today would have been a 20+ fish day...
Old 04-18-2013, 03:08 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
It was great to finally meet you. I felt bad, we were catching fish on either side of him and he was doing everything right too! I did better by the campgrounds, picked up another 5 before I left. The hatches going on down there were insane, I can't believe I didn't one Smallie come up. At one point I was surrounded by bugs (that's why I was wearing my hood) and Gina said "shouldn't we find another spot?" LMAO.
I'm looking out at these overcast skies and wondering why I didn't take today off. Today would have been a 20+ fish day...
Good going! Im going down tomorrow had to do the trout thing today with my grandson. Should be hot tomorrow with the overcast conditions!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser