The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 07:40 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default My first UL hookup

I took my recently purchased first UL rod (a Superfine Touch 2wt) for its maiden voyage yesterday. It was a beautiful 65 degree day in Boston and I headed out to a local pond after work. In total, I hauled in about 6 small largemouth and about 8 pumpkinseeds. I had a blast and can't imagine going back to my 6wt now for the sizes I was catching. The MVP fly of the day was a size 14 black foam beetle I whipped up the day before. I also grabbed one on an MM minnow and a SJ worm. My 6wt Diamondback is a dear friend but I think it will be collecting dust for a while. The 2wt was just way too much fun. Every sunfish felt like a bass, and every small bass felt like a big bass.

Here's a few pictures of some of the fish from yesterday:

Click the image to open in full size.

And yes, there is a different fish in each picture, even though the camera position and the look of the fish are very similar.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:54 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: My first UL hookup

Very nice! The UL's sure can be fun in that small water!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:08 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: My first UL hookup

Way to go Nick!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:17 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I would love to get a couple of pumpkinseeds for my aquarium, alas there arent any around me really.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-25-2013, 08:23 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

They really are beautiful fish. There are some pretty huge ones around me. Here's a picture of one from last summer. You can tell that it is solid muscle. They fight very well for their size.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:34 AM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road

Very nice! Pics of the new rig?
Old 04-25-2013, 08:37 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

looks like a fun afternoon with the 2 wt!

ARFE
Old 04-25-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofamberley View Post
Very nice! Pics of the new rig?
I'll throw some pictures of the rod up tonight. Its a beautiful rod and handles great. You'd be surprised how far you can throw line with a 2wt. The only thing that stopped me was backcast room.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:23 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Love the UL stuff, fly or otherwise. Well done. I hear that's as big as they come in that size!

Craig
Old 04-30-2013, 01:27 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

ah yes, welcome to ultralight heaven It's a wonderful place to be. I fish a one weight and several three weight outfits.