The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 02:59 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: It's officially gill time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I do love catching bluegill, but pumkinseeds are my favorite, and we have some BIG ones here in MA. Their colors are beautiful and they fight great for their size.
caught one in the Umpqua River and yes it was gorgeous and fought like heck
Old 04-29-2013, 03:15 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Here's two nice plump ones I caught last summer.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:53 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

If you have redears that far up north, go after those. my buddy's wife caught on at the lake we boat at and i bet it was every bit of 15-16" long and a solid pound and a half. She thought it was snagged at first

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-30-2013, 08:29 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Wow. That would be an impressive sunfish. Sadly I don't think we have them over here. The main ones I seem to catch are bluegill and pumkinseed. Some seem to be close relatives that I haven't bothered to identify, but I don't believe I've ever seen a redear here.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:49 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I bought an Orvis Superfine Touch 2wt a few weeks ago Previously, my go to rod was my 6wt,
Nick,

I had a Orvis Superfine 1wt for the past 2 years. Before the Touch, they were called "Trout Bum" and only had a ring handle. That rod changed my life with fly fishing fun!

I broke that rod 4 times (Orvis has a lifetime guarantee) and they fixed it for free every time. I love Orvis, they have the best customer service!

All this hype about the Helios two years ago, so when I broke it for the forth time ...... I sent some cash and upgraded to a Helios. The 2wt and 3wt are both the same weight, so I went for a 3wt this time, a 2wt might have been better?

A pond or a lake loaded with big 'gills and a UL fly rod is the ultimate fishing thrill IMHO!

Way to go with the Touch 2wt! You are going to have so much fun with that rod.

Tight Lines,
Rick