The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 07:11 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default It's officially gill time!

We finally had a sunny and warm weekend here in MA so I decided to take my float tube out to a local pond I hadn't tried before. It turned out to be my new favorite spot and was FILLED with big bream and smaller bass. Ended up catching about 70-90 bream and about 7 small bass. Towards the end, it got to the point where I was intentionally not setting the hook if the bite felt small.

The first day I used a black foam beetle almost exclusively. I was catching something on almost every cast with this. The second day, I spent most of my time using a MM minnow to target the larger bream and see if I could bring in more bass. That is exactly what happened.

Here are some of the nicer ones from both days:

Click the image to open in full size.

riverbilly likes this.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:32 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: It's officially gill time!

Nice! In a couple weekends hopefully its nice enough to fish my buddy's farm pond, the bluegill in there are buts, average fish is almost 10"

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-29-2013, 07:38 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, that would be great. Another good thing about this weekend is that I finally got enough time on the water to determine which patterns work better than others for me. Now that I know, I can make a good deal of them and in different patterns. I normally only keep 1 or 2 of every pattern in my box until I find out if it works well or not.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:37 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

awsome, as much as i love trout fishing there aint nothing like a pond full of big bluegills and bass. im gonna hit my favorite pond several time over the next few weeks. bluegills up to 10 inches and bass up to three pounds. WOO HOO!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:42 AM

I bought an Orvis Superfine Touch 2wt a few weeks ago and this was my second time using it. The 2wt is a blast with these big gills and the smaller bass. Previously, my go to rod was my 6wt, but I don't see it making an appearance again for quite some time.
stl_geoff and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:04 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Yeah I should fish my buddy's place with my 3wt, just to be silly. there are some pretty large bass in there as well, just to make it interesting.
nick k likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-29-2013, 12:35 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Congrats on the good day. We had nothing but rain all weekend here, 3.5" of it.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:18 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

great pictures!!
gills on light tackle is a blast

casey

ARFE
Old 04-29-2013, 02:36 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

Only dinks where I fish but fun nonetheless. The bluegill is my favorite fish. Imagine if they weighed in at four or five pounds!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:43 PM

I do love catching bluegill, but pumkinseeds are my favorite, and we have some BIG ones here in MA. Their colors are beautiful and they fight great for their size.