The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 08:00 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Lunchbreak gill bustin!!

That is my sage bass "bluegill" rod. Granted its a "6" wt, there can be alot of wind at this lake and this rod with the outbound II on it just cuts thru it like its not even there. Plus there are some bass in the 3lb range that cruse the shallows around all these gills so I want to have some rod with me.

I brought the 3wt with me today, that should be even more fun then the 6. I know I also labled the top fish as a hybrid, but after looking at it some more Im pretty sure they are redear and not the hybrids. I had a hybrid hooked but it flung the fly before I could land it. Going back at it today, so maybe more pictures to come.
mbchilton likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-02-2013, 08:16 AM

achernan28 is on a distinguished road

That's the kind of lunch break we all need! Looking forward to more pics and hopefully you can land the big bass some time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-02-2013, 10:52 AM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

That is awesome. I finally found a great local pond full of gills and bass, but only have permission to fish it on Sundays. So hard to know it it 5 minutes away at lunch and not be able to go!

Carp on the Fly
Old 05-02-2013, 11:31 AM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

Would love a tussle with those gills. THe local pond suffer from slime and other green **** already by the end of April. The chemicals from the grass seed field adjacent the pond feeds the vegetation. The size and number of fish has decreased. I still go there. The tug of the bluegill is a fine thing.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:53 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Continued my tussle with the big gills today, another solid winner. Was definitly WAY more fun with the 3wt.

This guy was the biggest and gnarlyest, so that warrented his picture being taken

Click the image to open in full size.
mbchilton likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-07-2013, 09:15 AM

It finally stopped raining sunday afternoon and today is warm and sunny. there's a 3wt in the truck and a fresh load of black bully's bluegill bugs in it, today should be a good day!

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-09-2013, 11:28 PM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Almost every body of water here is surrounded completely in trees and thick vegetation.
It's a sad reality! The main reason I purchased a float tube is only because I can fish the places the shore fishin' guys can't get to!

Easy access means very little fish (lots of fishing pressure from the thousand bait boys) and usually trash all over the place.

I C&R and don't trash the water ........ but most guys today don't enjoy the wonderful experience that I do?

sg,

Nice 'gill! I'm doing the exact thing ..... and having the time of my life with my 3wt!

Same thing with trout! The easy access streams are almost fishless, but the hard to get to remote streams are packed with wild trout.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:20 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
It's a sad reality! The main reason I purchased a float tube is only because I can fish the places the shore fishin' guys can't get to!

Easy access means very little fish (lots of fishing pressure from the thousand bait boys) and usually trash all over the place.

I C&R and don't trash the water ........ but most guys today don't enjoy the wonderful experience that I do?

sg,

Nice 'gill! I'm doing the exact thing ..... and having the time of my life with my 3wt!

Same thing with trout! The easy access streams are almost fishless, but the hard to get to remote streams are packed with wild trout.
That's why I got a float tube as well. Still hard to find places clear enough to launch it though. Parking can also be an issue.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:31 AM

I hadnt been taking pictures lately as I've been catching too many fish to use the camera haha. The bluegill have been nuts all week, and I forget how much fun my 3wt is to use. Some of the bluegill are so big it feels like the rods going to break and I cant pick them up out of the water haha. Also spice up the mix with a small largemouth now and then.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-13-2013, 03:23 PM

bluegil!!!!!!!!!

Still catching em. My mom went to a park I told her about today and she said she just slayed them. Almost every cast was a gill or baby bass, then she got surprised by a 12" catfish!

Storm Drain Bonefisher