The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By rickf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 10:26 PM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough
Default The best that a fly rod has to offer!

I have been smackin' the big bluegills for the last couple weeks. I fish a few lakes in central PA in a float tube with a 3wt. I tie my own flies, and my fave is a micro bugger or a sponge cricket.

Super fun! I like it so much more than trout fishing.

Click the image to open in full size.

also a few small largemouth:
Click the image to open in full size.
baseman1, dakotakid and nick k like this.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: The best that a fly rod has to offer!

Hi Rick,

You've been quiet for awhile, I always enjoyed them when I would get into a good batch. I saw you're from PA and had to give an atta boy to ya.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-03-2013, 03:52 PM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough

I've been doing the same thing rick. Had a couple 40+ fish days last weekend with my 2wt and my float tube.

My main producers have been black foam beetles and MM minnows. I was getting so many fish I actually stopped setting the hook towards the end unless it felt like a big fish.

Gotta love them blues.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:53 AM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Rick,

You've been quiet for awhile, I saw you're from PA and had to give an atta boy to ya.

Ard
Yeah, I live in York, PA ...... God's country! I'll have to get back to NAFF! I remember you also!

I've upgraded my float tube to a Scadden Outlaw Escape. It is so wonderful and so much fun to fish from. I put it on my car top ...... so easy, so light.

And I upgraded my Superfine to a Helios. I tie all my flies and I fish all the central PA streams (Yellow Breeches, Penns, Letort, Cadorus, Muddy Creek) and I fly fish most of the lakes in central PA.

I've become addicted to fly fishing. Bluegills (my fave) to carp and saltwater, it's my passion!

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I've been doing the same thing rick. Had a couple 40+ fish days last weekend with my 2wt and my float tube.
Nick,

I saw your posts! Excellent! I'm having the time of my life with the abundant Bluegills, a float tube, and a UL flyrod. I used to use a 1wt Superfine, but I broke it four times ...... and now I use a Helios 3wt. I catch a lot of big gills around 9" and this 3wt is just perfect for me.

Can life possibly get any better?

Tight Lines,
Rick
Old 05-04-2013, 11:02 AM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough

My goal is to bring in a carp on my 2wt this summer.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:35 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If Bluegills grew to 10lbs, I would never fish for anything else! Gills on a 3wt always make for a great day.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Gills on a 3wt always make for a great day.
Swirl,

So very true! It's my fave type of fishing.

Sometimes, I take my L action spin rod to catch some largemouth bass. I have a neat Stradic and the new NanoFil super line and I "wacky" rig some Senkos. Sure, I'll catch 3 or 4 bass (some big ones too) but that is nowhere near as much fun as >50 beautiful Bluegills with my 3wt.

Same thing with carp. I have a couple "Euro" carp outfits (12' rods and electronic strike sensors) and I can catch a few ....... but this year I'll use my 8wt and some carp flies.