The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 08:51 PM

derekw68 is on a distinguished road
Default large mouth bass flies

I was wondering what everyone uses, and likes. I use a lot of deceivers this time of year. Poppers starting in march.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:55 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: large mouth bass flies

i've only fished for largemouth bass once, i think it was in march last year, on a private lake and a buddy showed my the bunny leech. very easy tie and i used perhaps only 2 all day (as well as some poppers). caught a lot of fish for my first foray.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:28 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

My favorite would be a crayfish pattern with zonker strip pinchers either blue and black, or brown and orange. I like the top water flies in low light.
jim
Old 01-30-2008, 08:36 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I use a lot of Woolly Buggers and Muddler Mindows.

Randy Kadish
Old 01-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezamora View Post
i've only fished for largemouth bass once, i think it was in march last year, on a private lake and a buddy showed my the bunny leech. very easy tie and i used perhaps only 2 all day (as well as some poppers). caught a lot of fish for my first foray.

eric
fresno, ca.
Hi Eric,

It looks like there is going to be a lot of water in the streams and rivers next year with all the rain and snow California has been getting. May be a good year for you. Is the Sierras above Huntington getting some of the snow?

Frank
Old 01-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

clousers and poppers for me

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:17 AM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Streamer wise, deceivers, Clousers, bunnies, mushmouths.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:04 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Eric,

It looks like there is going to be a lot of water in the streams and rivers next year with all the rain and snow California has been getting. May be a good year for you. Is the Sierras above Huntington getting some of the snow?

Frank
hello frank. yup, i'm guessing the answer is yes. and believe me, i'm really loking forward to it. i hope to hit a small drainage just east of huntington near the JMT next season, maybe late july/mid august. everything else is shaping up really nicely too. last year, my favorite little trout streams dried up mid june..

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:23 PM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough

In no particular order, DHM (Diamond Hair Minnow), clousers, poppers and chernybl ants. Of course there are color and size variations.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:33 AM

SouthernSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekw68 View Post
I was wondering what everyone uses, and likes. I use a lot of deceivers this time of year. Poppers starting in march.
Good question. I catch a lot of bass when casting small poppers for panfish. I use a chartreuese No. 10 bluegill popper. Bet I catch 6-10 bass per outing. Wonder how I'd do if I targetted bass?

This is a photo of a guy I took to the Everglades last June. This bass was taken on No. 10 popper on a 3-weight.

Click the image to open in full size.