The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 12:22 AM

caribe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nymphs for smallmouth bass?

I had one of my best smallie days with a size 12 scud. I was fishing a popular, well pounded stream right next to a worm dunker. After I pulled in my 6th smallie (14-16 inches) and the worm dunker had hardly a hit, he got up and left. Before he left he asked what a "scud" was and mentioned that he might take up fly fishing.
caribe
Old 05-11-2013, 02:11 AM

mryan2176 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think the main reason i was so shocked is usually around the time the bass start hitting, i stop nymphing for the trout. The stream is a put and take trout fishery. Not sure if any trout hold over at all as it gets pretty warm by august, but it is a great smallmouth stream. With quite a few fish 18+ inches. It is also very lightly fished, people around here seem to have forgotten they have legs and only fish the easy to access spots. I might just give those big nymphs a try, lots of hellgramites there, and it seems it would be pretty efficient to drift in my kayak and drift a big old nymph. . I have never caught a smallie on a dry fly, mainly because i really never try it. I usually throw something big and fuzzy, with enough weight to get down in the deepest holes. Always seemed to work for me, but i would like to expand my horizons this year. Thanks for all the tips guys.

P.S really like the looks of that fly big jim, going to have to tie some up.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:36 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan2176 View Post
I have never caught a smallie on a dry fly, mainly because i really never try it. I usually throw something big and fuzzy, with enough weight to get down in the deepest holes.
Here's something you can try, based on the Huron river anglers I mentioned earlier. They swear by Chernobyl Ants for those smallies up there. Maybe tie one on and a stonefly nymph on a dropper. A hopper/dropper rig would be very similar.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:57 PM

mryan2176 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, i'll have to give that a try. Matt