The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 07:46 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice
Default Well, THAT was interesting....

Had a great evening fishing one of the nearby ponds. Lovely place, set back in the woods, crystal clear water, full of bass and bluegill. I had a ball using a tiny chartreuse popper, and neither the bass nor the gills seemed to want anything else.

As I was working around the shoreline, I spooked a water snake in the grass and a few inches of water. He spooked me pretty good, too, until I realized it was a water snake and not a cottonmouth. He settled half in the water and half out, about six feet away, and stayed still, so I just ignored him and kept fishing.

I caught a couple more small bass, and then I hooked a bluegill and was pulling it through the grass in the shallows when the snake took notice. I was just reaching for my leader when he shot across in front of me like a flash and grabbed my fish. So I'm standing there with a bluegill on my hook just a few feet away, and a very determined water snake hanging onto the fish's body.

I didn't really want the snake, so I was just about to clip my leader when the hook pulled out. I spent a while watching the snake try to eat a fish that was a good bit bigger than he was. He had the fish about halfway into his mouth when I decided to move elsewhere and leave him alone. I certainly hope he appreciated my helping him catch his dinner.

So when you catch a fish, but a snake steals and eats it, is it still considered "catch-and-release?" Maybe "catch-and-feed-to-other-wildlife?"
mcnerney, fredaevans and mryan2176 like this.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.

Last edited by half fast; 05-10-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: 42
Old 05-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Well, THAT was interesting....

That's a good one,

I've had eagles give fish a good look but not had one snatched yet. Last year I had to throw 2 salmon at a bear who ended up not taking them but being sprayed by me before it left my dog and I alone.

I've heard many a tale of people reeling in fish and have them eaten by bigger fish. That has happened to me 3 times.

Sounds like you had a good trip to the pond.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a big snake fan so I would have moved elsewhere!
To bad you didn't have one of those GoPro cameras going to video that whole affair, it certainly would have been interesting to say the least.
fredaevans likes this.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:12 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've lost fish to seals.... those suckers can really make your drag sing
Old 05-11-2013, 07:39 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I've lost fish to seals.... those suckers can really make your drag sing
Hear you, I've had that happen twice. Once up in Washington and once on the Russian River in Nor-Cal.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:42 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

Nothiing so dramatic but I did have a bull frog chase a gill out onto the bank when I pulled the gill up on the bank. The frog stayed and done a stare down with me over that fish. I tried scareing him back into the water but he would nt scare. He was ready and willing to fight me over that gill. It was actually a little unnerving having such a small critter to be so aggressive. It was real close to dark so I took my leave. I got the gill but I am still not sure who was the winner of that stare down.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:06 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Bullfrogs Used to tie on a red worm, hide behind the bushes and just cast it on shore near a bullfrog, all you had to do was wiggle the worm and they would come right out of the water to get it. Memories of childhood...lol

Dave
Old 05-11-2013, 07:53 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
Nothiing so dramatic but I did have a bull frog chase a gill out onto the bank when I pulled the gill up on the bank. The frog stayed and done a stare down with me over that fish. I tried scareing him back into the water but he would nt scare. He was ready and willing to fight me over that gill. It was actually a little unnerving having such a small critter to be so aggressive. It was real close to dark so I took my leave. I got the gill but I am still not sure who was the winner of that stare down.
That was either one huge frog or one tiny bluegill. I don't think I've ever seen a frog big enough to eat an adult bluegill.

Sounds like you could've had bluegill with a side of frog legs for supper.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:55 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

We were into a backwoods lake a few years ago that saw allot of pressure, my first fish was a nice 15 inch Brookie, after I boated it I looked down into the water and saw a loon circling around under the boat, I didn't think much about it until I released the fish, as soon as I put the fish in the water that thing snagged it. It scared me half to death, almost took it from my hand, took it almost an hour to get that fish down, kinda ticked me off.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:58 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Where I fish there are some HUGE snapping turtles. If you fish in the same spot for long enough, one might come and settle in front of you. They wait for you to drag the bluegills in and try to snag them as they go by. I also occasionally have big largemouth grab the bluegills once they are hooked.

When I was at college and FL, I used to see barracudas attach each other a lot. Sometimes you hook one and another goes after it, or sometimes you throw a small one back in and a large one attacks. Sometimes you put a large one in and one the same size attacks it while it rests. Vicious fish.