The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 08:11 PM

zum will become famous soon enough
Default Question for bass fishers

I had a big fish blow up on my fly,it missed it totally.Casted rite back and it would take.
If I were baitcasting,I always have a few rods with me so I probably would have picked up another rod with a senko or grub and chances are,the fish would of hit it.
Do any of you fly fishers that fish this style use more than one fly rod?
Say another rod with a weighted clouser or steamer type fly for these situations?

I got to try out the frogg toggs(Toadz),I bought myself for Christmas today.
The weather man was calling for thunder storms but they weren't happening so off to the lake I went...that a sure way of making it rain.
It flat out poured with wind gusts of 70km.I was very happy with them(Toadz),didn't soak through anywhere and my phone and wallet were dry as well.I found a smallish river type lake and still got a good 4/5 hours in,this afternoon.
This video is only a minute long showing the rain,the big miss and a few small fish.Only landed 6 smallies and around 10 small pickerel.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:20 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice
Default Re: Question for bass fishers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zum View Post
If I were baitcasting,I always have a few rods with me so I probably would have picked up another rod with a senko or grub and chances are,the fish would of hit it.
Do any of you fly fishers that fish this style use more than one fly rod?
Say another rod with a weighted clouser or steamer type fly for these situations?

It'd be simpler to set up your leader with a couple of droppers rigged a couple of feet apart. Then just vary which fly you show the fish by varying the length of your cast.

(Just a little half-fast suggestion....)

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.

Last edited by half fast; 05-12-2013 at 08:23 PM. Reason: 42
Old 05-12-2013, 11:58 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If I am on a boat, I will have a second or a third rod.

Dennis
Old 05-13-2013, 12:45 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

A second rod would not be a bad idea. I sometimes take more than one rod when I am shore fishing. If I am not fishing where I need to hike around while casting I will. If I am fishing a spot where I have a short area I plan to work the heck out of, I have been known to bring more than two.

Did you try giving that fish a bit of a rest and go back and try for it again? I have had them where they won't come back right away, but will be more willing if you leave it alone for a while.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:42 PM

zum will become famous soon enough

I went back 10-15 minutes later,probably wasn't long enough.
I did land alittle bass there,the weather was to crappy and I was to lazy to switch to a different style fly.
The kiacks are running now and a lot of times the fish kinda move with them.

I learned acouple things that day,right now I'd rather cast into the wind and have the wind help my backcast...and #2;related to #1;have to work on the double haul,atleast for the backcast.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:17 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

It really depends on the situation for me. If I am on a boat or fishing from shore, I would probably have 2 rods set up with different styles of flies.

If I am wading though, it's a 1 rod journey for me most of the time. Where I fish tends to have a lot of overhang and having a fully rigged rod tucked in my waders, tend to lead to it getting caught up on branches.

If I am fishing very open water like a large flat or something, a 2nd rod would be a good option.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:49 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

When I have a fish hit and miss or get off quickly, as soon as it gets off I'll let the fly just sit there (or slowly sink since I usually use weighted flies) and barely wiggle it to make it look wounded. Lots of times the bass will come back and hit it again.

When I was a conventional fisherman I would grab another rod real quick and cast back at it. But trying to use two fly rods at the same time in a kayak gets mighty tricky, or by the time you reel in the line on one rod and get the other out the bass has probably found other interest.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:33 PM

fishinkeebs is on a distinguished road

If fishing from a boat i have 2 rods.. if not and i have a fish blow up and miss i usually try to tie on a different fly real quick and recast.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:03 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Unlike with spin rods, you just can't make a cast with a different rod as quickly as you would need to to get a hook up.
..... even if you just put the first rod down without reeling in and tucking everything away, you still need to pick the second rod , strip off the proper amount of line, make a few false casts, and then make your presentation.
That's not just fast enough.....
It's not the same as making a quick cast with a second spin rod.

The reason that the fish blew up on your fly and missed is that bass flies are light weight.
When a bass attacks the bass bug, they're so light weight that they they often get thrown. The bass didn't miss, it pushed the bug away.
Casting the same bug back is the only way to go.
Knowing where the confused bass went to is the hard part.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:50 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I'm going to give you a bit of advice here, and I don't want you to take it the wrong way, because I'm constantly reiterating it to myself when I fish:

Change your damn fly!

Very early on in my fly fishing journey I learned that patience is a large part of the sport. A lot of us (including me) sometimes putter along with the same fly, not getting much new action, because we don't want to take the time to tie on a new one. The fact is, fly fishing can sometimes be a pain in the @ss. No one wants to change a leader, add more tippet, or tie on new flies, but learning to accept this, take a knee, and sacrifice a minute of your time often pays off ten fold.

For every "I could have caught that fish if I had a second rod" story, there's a guy out there changing his fly and catching that fish.
zum likes this.