The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 08:10 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default Re: Yellow perch

I've been catching a good amount of perch by me lately. They don't seem to be too picky or shy about fly selection. I think I've got most of them on a briminator or MM minnow, but it doesn't seem like I would have had trouble attracting them with most of my other flies.

I'm new to the perch game myself but am finding them very fun on the fly rod. They are kind of like mini bonefish in that they make a mad dash once you set the hook. They don't give up very easily, and will continue to dash all over the place until you get them out of the water.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Account on hold

philbush1127 is on a distinguished road

Yeah he was a fighter for sure I was using an ultra light spinning rod fighting him
Old 05-15-2013, 12:05 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbush1127 View Post
Yeah he was a fighter for sure I was using an ultra light spinning rod fighting him
Yeah I've been getting mine on my 2wt. They are a blast. Interesting fish to hold as well. They skin is very rough, like holding a sandpaper cylinder.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Account on hold

Yeah I noticed that! I felt like I was going to cut myself holding him
Old 05-15-2013, 01:05 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Yellow Perch are relatives of the Walleye. Excellent table fare too. Their scales are small, and they're a bit tough to get those scales off, plus those spiny fins & sharp gill covers can inflict some nasty wounds. I used to keep them to eat, but now usually release most of them. IMO, they're better for eating when caught in the colder waters of early spring or winter than they are after the waters warm up.

Here in MD we have White Perch too. No relation between the two. White Perch are actually related to White Bass & Striped Bass. They're a lot of fun on flies as well, and are one of my favorite fish for eating. White Perch also are not picky about flies.

Here's some flies I like to use for both types of perch. Most are tied on size 4 & 6 hooks, a few on size 2.

Click the image to open in full size.
baseman1 likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-15-2013, 01:25 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Hey BigJim....that is a nice assortment of bonefish flies.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:28 PM

I bet you buy your dumbbell eyes and flash by the truckload.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:38 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Thanks!

ditz, I like tying them, & since there are no Bonefish here, I've found they work well for the other fishes that are here!

nick, old habits are hard to break! When I tied commercially I bought in bulk. Now I find it difficult to want to buy those small packs, so yes, I still like to buy in quantity!

Actually, a lot of these are tied with bead chain. I bought a couple of spools of it!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-15-2013, 01:45 PM

Well they are all great looking flies, very professionally done.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Account on hold

I just bought some of those beady eye flies today ill have to give them a try!

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Does it really make a difference with the taste when it comes to the tempature of the water?