The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 06:08 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default Re: Freaky Finned Carp and a few other fish

Jamming fingers into gills is not usually a good idea. Many fish are dramatically different in what they can tolerate. A common carp can live after being run over by a truck.

After being with my beloved Division of Wildlife (CPW now) on many stream samplings, I think all of you would be aghast at how they handle fish when they stock or shock.

I have to stand with the bio's on this issue. If we truly feel that a quick picture is hurting our fine finned friends then what did the Catching just do to them?

If you truly feel like taking them up for a picture is that bad then you must feel at least somewhat guilty for the real stress which was hooking them and fighting them for what seems to them to be their life.

I am not arguing, but the fish management world and science shows us that fish are fairly hardy if you did not kill them while fighting it to get them to hand.

Many years ago I actually consulted our senior fisheries biologist for the state on what is bad and good and he said The Hero shot is never what does our friends in when done properly.

Sorry for my soap box but seems that these comments are being made more and more often and they seem to be getting a bit more exaggerated. After seeing how well this fellow above handled his fish (especially for being carp) I was thinking that he was being wrongfully targeted.

I do sincerely apologize for my expression here. I just felt like the other side of this argument can be made without hurting the fish.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:34 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

So how about that local sports game?
stl_geoff likes this.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:40 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough

My dear freinds I apologize for any fish that may have been harmed I assure you my finger touched no gils, just gill plates! Valid points on the ones I laid down, not my best idea and I will avoid this in the future! I appreciate the comments!
Vans, milt spawn, argail and 1 others like this.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:08 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

I'm sorry, were talking about carp here. Probably in the evolutionary scale, one of the most perfect, successful and hardy freshwater fish there is. They can live in poo, 90 degree water and probably will be the only thing left (beside roaches) after the nuclear hollocaust.

I agree with Ard, wild coldwater salmonids needed to be handled with kid gloves. I love how sportsmen are falling in line with the Peta types and are becoming our own worst enemies.

In another generation we will all be like that woman in the general forum post Evolution of an angler. We will just fish without hooks. Heck, maybe we won't fish at all. In that post several people responded how stressful it is for the fish to leave their feeding station to strike the hookless fly.

Hunting and fishing is a blood sport. I am disgusted with anybody who does not follow the law, practice conservation or treat natural creatures with respect. But come on!!! Every red blooded guy and girl deserves a hero shot from time to time. And you know what? Eat one once in a while. If you don't, that's when the anti's have ammunition against you.
JoJer and theboz like this.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:55 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

I frequently get hammered on my facebook page and blog for fish handling by the European carp guys...and I'm not handling them by the gills, etc. I got beat up pretty good recently over a picture of me holding a fish with one hand...like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm all for taking care of the fish, but the extremes they go to in Europe are for reasons that don't exist out here. They are catching the same fish, over and over for 20 some years...they feed the fish, name the fish, and get more and more complicated in the ways to fool 'em. If I was catching a pet, I'd put antiseptic treatment on the hook wounds too. Out here, we are talking about wild, healthy (over healthy often) populations of carp. The fishery is going to be fine, and if the occasional fish does die...well...that is fishing. Granted, we should do our best to keep our fingers out of their gills and fish out of the dirt, but I don't think we need to worry about the slippery slope.

Nice fish.
Guest1 and theboz like this.

Carp on the Fly
Old 05-16-2013, 02:59 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Personally, I'm more amazed that you're actually ABLE to hold that thing with one hand. That is a serious pig, I'd be screaming for the camera man to take the shot already.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:02 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Hah...all in the balance nick! I have held a 21 lber one handed, but nothing bigger. They get tough after 12 lbs or so.

Carp on the Fly
Old 05-16-2013, 09:01 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough

Hello mr. Montana, I am a follower of your Facebook group and voted for you several times for slab of the year! Just wanted to say great page and you sir are a carp whisperer!
Guest1 and nick k like this.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:25 PM

Looks like you have it down buck tail!
Guest1 likes this.

Carp on the Fly