The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 07:13 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough
Default Freaky Finned Carp and a few other fish

Well today I was fishing one of my spots and manganed to land a carp I had tried to entice a few weeks back. It wasnt a huge carp by any means but its fins sure as heck were! Well he gobbled my fly down and I enjoyed looking him over before release...here ya go

Click the image to open in full size.

Here a few other fish I got today I thought Id put up as long as I was posting the wierd one haha'

Old 05-13-2013, 07:48 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Re: Freaky Finned Carp and a few other fish

On that chance that you are a catch and release guy i would like to point out that as a general rule it isnt a good idea to stick your fingers into the gills of a fish. Also, laying them in the dirt should be avoided as well. That is if you are trying to maximize their survival.

Nice catches.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Perhaps some sort of introduced fancy carp? Kinda looks like the fins on a Koi, maybe a ..............hybred

I agree with Vans on the business of keeping fish from water for photo ops. Better an in the water shot for C&R fishing.

No one objects to a picture of a fish done like this

Nice fish you're catching but we love to see em in the water rather than on shore.

Ard
Vans and thewalker1013 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 05-14-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:30 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

That would be a butterfly koi, or perhaps a common carp that crossed with a butterfly koi, at any rate, its got butterfly in it.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Account on hold

philbush1127 is on a distinguished road

That's one crazy looking carp!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:58 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Nice fish!

Carp on the Fly
Old 05-13-2013, 11:56 PM

popperhopper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
That would be a butterfly koi, or perhaps a common carp that crossed with a butterfly koi, at any rate, its got butterfly in it.
Was also my first thought. Looks like a carp/butterfly koi love child.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-14-2013, 12:16 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by popperhopper View Post
Was also my first thought. Looks like a carp/butterfly koi love child.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Agreed or a wild goldfish/ butterfly koi mix ! Whatever cool looking fish!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-14-2013, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Perhaps some sort of introduced fancy carp? Kinda looks like the fins on a Koi, maybe a ..............hybred
yeah, that's what I was thinking

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-14-2013, 02:51 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to make a quick comment on the gill thing. There is a difference between in the bottom of the gill plate and in the gills.

There are fish that you may need to have control of to avoid the injury of both you and the fish. Big Pike for instance. Big Walleye for another. My hand is in the gill plate at the bottom and my thumb and index finger have the 'essox clamp' on it. It's gills are fine, the fish is fine, I am fine and we all went our merry way no worse for the wear. I am going to make the assumption that bucktail has gripped it right and not jump him. Without evidence at all to the contrary it is not fair to just condemn people.

The dirt's probably not so good though. But who's to say he didn't eat those panfish. They are plentiful, not overly big, so no sin there, they are tasty fish and last I checked, it was still legal. The grass is no less safe than turning a fish in the water so it's eye is 1" from a sharp rock. "Freeze or you'll put your eye out kid."
bucktail likes this.