The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By dakotakid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 10:01 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about
Default 1st Good Evening of the Year

My buddy asked me to try a local lake since we had a nice mild evening. We typically take both a spinning rod (for wackie worm) and a fly rod (my first Spring with fly equipment), and use whatever is working best. Started off by hammering some pretty nice Redear sunfish on a spider fly just casting from the dock. When that action slowed down, we got into the canoe and worked the shoreline. Knew we would also get LMB because we could see and hear them splashing water as they ambushed the forage fish. Wackie worm was effective, but we used the fly rods 75-80% of the time just because it was more fun. Action was hot in spurts. Didn't hit any huge bass, but definitely enjoyed what we got on the 4 wt setup.

Funny thing is that we can slam these Redear slabs early in the season and then never find them in Summer and Fall.

We always catch and release on this private lake, so it's the go-to place when the bite gets tough elsewhere. Let's hope this is the first of many productive days.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels, riverbilly and nick k like this.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:29 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: 1st Good Evening of the Year

looks like a great evening for topwater action!
thanks for the report

casey

ARFE
Old 05-16-2013, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good looking fish kid, I'm waiting on the ice to go out here. We're about three weeks behind schedule. It's good to see folks with open water having fun.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-16-2013, 07:06 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Caseywise,

Interestingly enough, we expected topwater action based on the conditions and aggressive way the bass were acting. No action on poppers. Only had success with weighted flies. My spiders are tied with lead wire to get them to sink.

Go figure.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:30 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I'm waiting on the ice to go out here.
Ard
Ard,

Wow! I know we had some "wacky weather" but that is ridiculous!

You will just enjoy all the more when the fishing starts?