The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 12:44 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Exotic continued

A few moreClick the image to open in full size.

[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Midas Cichlid
Spotted Tilipia
Red Devil

And a host of others!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-16-2013, 01:04 AM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Exotic continued

Nice! Peacock bass, and what looks like some orange tilapia, as well as more standard colored ones (I could be wrong on the tilapia). Were you guys in Hawaii?
Old 05-16-2013, 01:29 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by newby View Post
Nice! Peacock bass, and what looks like some orange tilapia, as well as more standard colored ones (I could be wrong on the tilapia). Were you guys in Hawaii?
No Miami. One is a Midas Cichlid and the other a Red Devil Fish.The dark one is a spotted tilipia.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:33 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Great to see; thanks for posting!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:47 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

thats my dream!! what weight do you suggest for such a trip to the canals?
Old 05-16-2013, 08:08 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Great pics. The problem with these forums is that I keep adding trips I want to take faster than I can take 'em.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:08 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbailes View Post
thats my dream!! what weight do you suggest for such a trip to the canals?
From the perspective of someone who has spent a great deal of time in Miami, this sounds very funny. The fish in the canals are no doubt beautiful and a dream to fish for, but the canals themselves.....not so much. On more than one occasion I fished very urban portions of the canals with my friend. Had a highway on one side and the projects on the other. Had to hop over guard rails, climb under fences, and avoid some really strange looks. I don't mean to put a damper on you dream here, its a great one, and like I said, the canals have amazing fishing; just got a good chuckle from my perspective.

And as for rod weight, its really up to how much play you want the fish to have. The canals are pretty narrow in most spots, so casting distance is of little concern. While I was there, I used a 5wt most of the time and had 0 problems. If I went back today, I'd definitely bring my 2wt as well. Those big tilapia, cichlids, and peacocks would be a blast on it. If you had to pick one rod and not worry about anything, I'd say grab a 6wt and you'll be fine. There's some big fish in there if you find them.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:38 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

6wt. it is then do largemouth live in the same areas as the peacocks? i could ignore the canal side scenery just to fish for these beautiful fish!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:41 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbailes View Post
6wt. it is then do largemouth live in the same areas as the peacocks? i could ignore the canal side scenery just to fish for these beautiful fish!
theboz might know more about largemouths in the area. I spent most of my time in Miami fishing a portion of that canal that didnt seem to have largemouth OR peacocks, but I did catch a largemouth once in an area that I assume had both.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:37 AM

Plenty of kLargemouths mixed in depends on the canal. I use a 7or 8 wt only for the fact Clousers are the way to go with the Peacocks and it's a little less chuck and duck!

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Most of the scenery in the canals is urban backyards but some look quite tropical and with all the Iguanas, pythons and Tegu Lizards you can picture yourself somewhere else.