The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 06:02 PM

flyguy97 is on a distinguished road
Default Stress Relief

Got out today with a new fly pattern, ready to unstress after my AP test. First 3 cast I had a few nice swirls but all missed it, on the fourth cast my fly hits the water and I see a tail whip around and I have him hooked. Ended up being about a 1.5 lb bass, quite a fight on my 3 wt around weeds. Also the biggest fish caught on the fly for me. Saw some wildlife too. good day
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stress Relief

Congrats on the nice bass!
edknuthjr likes this.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:36 AM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

congrats on getting to go fishing and catch something, GL on the tests.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:44 AM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

And that is exactly what makes warm water fly fishing so great, rod/reel and a little else. It's about as pure as you can get. Well done.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:29 AM

thechroniclesofmasi is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Stress Relief

Don't cast at the snake!

I wish I started at your age. This sport is a blast.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:24 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechroniclesofmasi View Post
Don't cast at the snake!
Heck, I seem to catch 'em even when I don't cast to 'em!

Well, THAT was interesting....

Nice catch, flyguy. Reminds me of when I was your age. Of course, way back then we were casting pterodactyl imitations.......

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:41 PM

flyguy97 is on a distinguished road

Click the image to open in full size. Can someone I'D this for me? Its short, fat, and voracious. I have only caught a handful and have never been able to figure out what it was. I'm only aware of bluegill, redears, green sunfish, bass, crappie, and a single pumpkinseed ever caught in the pond. Any guesses?
Old 05-21-2013, 07:55 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

Looks like a rock bass to me.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:05 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Need to see a better pic of the head . Could be a Warmouth or an Orange Spotted Sunfish or a natural hybrid . Like I said need a head shot! Definately not a Pumpkinseed or Rock Bass . I'm leaning towards a Warmouth or Hybrid.

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Ok I enlarged the pic and counted dorsal spines and pecs and it is a Warmouth ! Cool looking one at that!

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

And it's a male judging by the small orange mark towards the back of the dorsal where it joins the body. These fish are like bluegills in that they look different in diffrenr waters especially coloration!
flyguy97 likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-22-2013, 07:39 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Saw some nature myself the other day. Was fishing a local pond and was about to leave when I heard a HUGE splash. Sounded like someone threw a boulder into the water. I then saw a pretty big shape moving in the water, leaving a decent sized wake as it went. Looked like a small crocodile (obviously it was not since I live in MA. It was getting dark so I couldn't see what it was until it swam to within 15 yards of me. Turned out to be a large beaver cooling off. Every minute or so he would flip over, pound the water, and dive underneath. It was really cool to see.
fredaevans likes this.