The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 07:55 PM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough
Default Lake fishing with a sink tip line

I put some 4wt fast sink tip line (they don't seem to make a 3wt sink line?) on my 3wt today and fished a lake filled with bluegills and bass.

I bought the line last year for streamer fishing for stockies in high stained water. Today was the first time I used a sink tip in a lake.

Super fun! This is a great way to present a small fly in 5' to 10' of water.

A cloudy day, around 70 with a sprinkle of rain every so often ...... perfect for fly fishing!

I caught around 50 bluegills and about a dozen largemouth bass. Best flies were Woolybuggers, Minibuggers, and Microbuggers. Black and brown caught on almost every cast.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:34 PM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Lake fishing with a sink tip line

Congrats. Nice bunch of fish and great pics! I bought a few sink tip lines for Christmas and I really like them. I'd only fished floating lines and full sinkers before. Last week I caught four rainbows at Lake Davis here in Norcal on a clear intermediate sink tip line when I had no luck with nymph's under an indicator and floating line. Nice additions to my gear.

Tom
Old 05-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Rick: Congrats on the great fishing!

Larry
Old 05-21-2013, 03:04 PM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough

Congrats on a good day out!
Thanks for sharing.

Chris
Old 05-21-2013, 03:09 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Nice! That looks like great fun.

There are sink tips in 3 wt. Check Ebay
Old 05-21-2013, 05:35 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

Jim Teeny Mini Sink
Jim Teeny BS 100

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

Wow. What a great outing! WIsh I had a place like that here.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:22 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about
Question Re: Lake fishing with a sink tip line

Is a sink tip line easier to cast than a WF-F line or about the same ?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:44 PM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
Is a sink tip line easier to cast than a WF-F line or about the same ?
They are a lot harder to cast and fish with. I took off my sink tip and put floating line back on.

Today I was out catchin' like crazy with a WF floating line. At twilight the 'gills move to the top even in 20' of water. And top water sponge spiders and big dries are so much more fun to fish with!

I pack my 5' UL spin rod in my pontoon ...... just in case the fish stay on the bottom.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:05 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I find sink tips to be a better choice over sink tip line... This way i can quickly change back to floating or a longer sink tip or faster sink rate without having to have a bunch of spare spools lying around... I've used tips on a variety of different lines and have worked well for what ive needed