The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 10:17 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: I need some schoolin'

I've caught a lot of perch with flies tied on 3366 hooks, so yes they'll work. Not a particularly sharp hook right out of the package, but touch up the points & they're good. Some of the hooks in those pictures are nickel plated, and similar to the 3366. However, they're Gamakatsu hooks, they call a Sea Hook. I found several packs on Ebay in a size 6, and got them cheap! Not sure they're even made that small any longer.

Mustad has a version of that 3366 in a nickel finish, the 3365A & if I'm looking for an inexpensive hook, that's the one I would use for perch flies. The nickel finish a bit harder than bronze & IMO they're a bit sharper & stay that way a bit longer. I've used a gold plated version too, but don't recall the model number.
Flashy is fine for perch.

I've come to prefer a stronger hook like Mustad 3407 /34007 or VMC 9255 or any other good saltwater hook I can get. I've hooked into some larger fish a few times while fishing for perch, like LM bass, Pickerel or Striped bass so like having a stronger hook.

Stainless or tin plated are better for the waters I fish most since it's brackish. The 3366's rust a bit too quickly if the salt content is high. They're fine for freshwater use. If you sharpen them, take a permanent marker & go over the points where you remove the finish. That helps slow down rusting before you get to use them.

Frankly, that Mickey Finn variation sounds like a good fly to try for perch.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-25-2013, 11:33 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Big Jim, thanks.

It's all fresh water that I am fishing.

That electric Mickey Finn... how do you spell that sound Lurch made?
Old 05-25-2013, 11:41 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

When you go for White Perch it might be a good time to get over your aversion because the flys that Jim posted are the type i use for them and they rock!
Another thing to note about White Perch is that in the late spring and thru the summer they rise to dry flys in the evenings even in brackish waters. Many times my perch trips begin dredging bright streamers and bonefish patterns on the bottom and end up drifting an Adams on top at the end of the day!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-25-2013, 12:22 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I've caught them sometimes on small poppers while fishing for Bluegills. They're opportunists for certain & will eat many things.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-25-2013, 01:57 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

A simple white, green, or black streamer will catch just about any predatory warmwater species if the size is right and its fished effectively.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:38 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

The first two I can deal with,

Click the image to open in full size.

These on the other hand... I hope we are not talking about gawd-awful-fugliness like the next two:

Old 05-25-2013, 02:43 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Use # 2 !!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-25-2013, 03:25 PM

They'll work! The 3rd & 4th flies are a bit overdressed for perch, but will still work. They look more like Steelhead flies! Nice either way!