The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   LMB at night (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/320280-lmb-night.html)

paflyfisher 05-23-2013 09:40 PM

LMB at night

Hey guys first post here been lurking for a while. I have a couple of ponds around me that i cant fish during the day. Was wondering if anyone had any tips for fishing at night for large mouths? Thanks

chased 05-23-2013 09:45 PM

Re: LMB at night

I've done pretty good with poppers and muddler minnows at night. Hold on tight!

-Chase

mcnerney 05-23-2013 09:57 PM

I've never fished LMB at night, but I'm guessing Chase is correct with the "Hang On Tight" advice. Sounds like fun, keep us posted on how it goes.

al_a 05-23-2013 10:21 PM

Are the ponds clear? In my experience, night fishing is much better in clear water than in murky water, the bass seem to be more active at night in clear water.

If the water is quite clear and it's a moonlit night, rather quiet flies often work best. But if it's a darker night or the water is slightly stained, noisy surface flies are usually the most effective, as are bigger poppers.

Night fishing is a whole different world. I used to do a lot of it on Ozark streams for smallmouth, and it's a blast.

theboz 05-23-2013 11:54 PM

Lotta fun! Try Gurglers and Poppers along the shoreline. Slow deliberate retrieves and just let them sit. And the explosion can come at any time!I see your a PA guy as am I and where I am its still a little cold at night for consistent action, I like to start night Bassin in mid June thru the fall. Good luck!:frogdance

Oh and frog patterns!:frogdance:frogdance:frogdance:frogdance

rickf 05-24-2013 01:01 AM

I love night fishing!

I wet wade in the Susquehanna at twilight, and when dark the smallmouth (almost gone now) and the channel cats go wild.

I like a big unweighted Woolybugger on a 8wt.

Lots of bats and when hellgrammites hatch, they look like a small bat when they fly around.

It's very enjoyable, enjoy!

Rip Tide 05-24-2013 07:27 AM

Big black popper.... cast it out next to the lilly pads.
Give it one LOUD pop and let it sit there as long as you can stand it.
Don't even think of letting go of your rod even though the mosquitoes are eating you alive.
Be ready for a savage take.

dpreller 05-24-2013 07:37 AM

get yourself a device called a thermacell for mosquitos and follow the rest of the advice given.

stl_geoff 05-24-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 559058)
Big black popper.... cast it out next to the lilly pads.
Give it one LOUD pop and let it sit there as long as you can stand it.
Don't even think of letting go of your rod even though the mosquitoes are eating you alive.
Be ready for a savage take.

Yep, thats what we have always done at golf courses at night ......

raindogt 05-24-2013 10:38 AM

Advice? Know the area well and be aware of your surroundings. A close encounter with a skunk can really put a damper on an otherwise good night of fishing. (I DO NOT know this from experience, but feel certain that it would. LOL)