The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 09:40 PM

paflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default LMB at night

Hey guys first post here been lurking for a while. I have a couple of ponds around me that i cant fish during the day. Was wondering if anyone had any tips for fishing at night for large mouths? Thanks
Old 05-23-2013, 09:45 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: LMB at night

I've done pretty good with poppers and muddler minnows at night. Hold on tight!

-Chase
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I've never fished LMB at night, but I'm guessing Chase is correct with the "Hang On Tight" advice. Sounds like fun, keep us posted on how it goes.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:21 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

Are the ponds clear? In my experience, night fishing is much better in clear water than in murky water, the bass seem to be more active at night in clear water.

If the water is quite clear and it's a moonlit night, rather quiet flies often work best. But if it's a darker night or the water is slightly stained, noisy surface flies are usually the most effective, as are bigger poppers.

Night fishing is a whole different world. I used to do a lot of it on Ozark streams for smallmouth, and it's a blast.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:54 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Lotta fun! Try Gurglers and Poppers along the shoreline. Slow deliberate retrieves and just let them sit. And the explosion can come at any time!I see your a PA guy as am I and where I am its still a little cold at night for consistent action, I like to start night Bassin in mid June thru the fall. Good luck!

Oh and frog patterns!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-24-2013, 01:01 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

I love night fishing!

I wet wade in the Susquehanna at twilight, and when dark the smallmouth (almost gone now) and the channel cats go wild.

I like a big unweighted Woolybugger on a 8wt.

Lots of bats and when hellgrammites hatch, they look like a small bat when they fly around.

It's very enjoyable, enjoy!
Old 05-24-2013, 07:27 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Big black popper.... cast it out next to the lilly pads.
Give it one LOUD pop and let it sit there as long as you can stand it.
Don't even think of letting go of your rod even though the mosquitoes are eating you alive.
Be ready for a savage take.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:37 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

get yourself a device called a thermacell for mosquitos and follow the rest of the advice given.
flyguy97 likes this.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:00 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Big black popper.... cast it out next to the lilly pads.
Give it one LOUD pop and let it sit there as long as you can stand it.
Don't even think of letting go of your rod even though the mosquitoes are eating you alive.
Be ready for a savage take.
Yep, thats what we have always done at golf courses at night ......

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-24-2013, 10:38 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Advice? Know the area well and be aware of your surroundings. A close encounter with a skunk can really put a damper on an otherwise good night of fishing. (I DO NOT know this from experience, but feel certain that it would. LOL)