The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 07:46 PM

okbow68 has a spectacular aura aboutokbow68 has a spectacular aura about
Default Gar on the fly I had to try! No successes fun trying!

I have been watching a lot of videos about catching gar with a rope fly. I've been making indicators with polypro yarn so I decided to make up a gar fly with it. Made it about 6" long white with a little red for color. I did not tie it on a hook just looped it over and whipped it then frayed it. Me and the boy took his new 6wt to a local creek that always has long nosed gar in it. With all the rains it was up and muddy but we saw several gar. The largest about 36" probably. That fly was hard to cast no room for a back cast, couldn't chuck and duck it cause when it was lifted out of the water it instantly lost weight. Is that why they use regular nylon usually to retain water for weight? I thought the polypro would be good, maybe it is with room to back cast. Thanks for reading, looking for comments and suggestions.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:58 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Gar on the fly I had to try! No successes fun trying!

I have all of my rope lies made from regular old hardware store nylon rope. Definitly white with some red in them, drive those fish nuts for whatever reason. The nylon flies cast pretty easily, from all positions. Its even easy enough to roll cast while sitting in a kayak. They are fun as all get out to play with, almost everyone I've caught comes straight out of the water once you pull on them.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-26-2013, 10:47 AM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

old thread for you!
Gar On The Fly?

good luck!
Old 05-26-2013, 01:30 PM

Thanks guys

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 PM

Got some twisted nylon to make some gar flies with. Anyone with a length versus line weight recommendation? Our offering the other day was about 8-10 inches long using a 6wt setup.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:19 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

I had a knowledgeable gentleman recommend that I use a #10 hook on longnose gar. I have not yet had the opportunity to try it yet but I do have a lot of faith in the fella that told me that. He ties on the the 10 hook a fly he calls the squirrely.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:43 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

For those who have done it, how easy is it to get the teeth out of the rope once you land the fish?

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 05-29-2013, 06:53 PM

I was going to try again after work but my spot that is close had people swimming in the creek.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:44 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Its pretty easy. Just kinda comes out like zelcro. A small brush helps get it out as well. Wear a leather glove, they are super slimy and difficult to hold.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-30-2013, 12:47 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
I have all of my rope lies made from regular old hardware store nylon rope. Definitly white with some red in them, drive those fish nuts for whatever reason. The nylon flies cast pretty easily, from all positions. Its even easy enough to roll cast while sitting in a kayak. They are fun as all get out to play with, almost everyone I've caught comes straight out of the water once you pull on them.
Agreed 100%! Red and white lawn chair and red foam made my last batch . Now if I could only land one ! 0 for 32 it's got to get better! Haha!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser