The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By nick k
  • 1 Post By stl_geoff
  • 1 Post By bigjim5589

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 12:04 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default Monster crappie on my 2wt

I hit the local reservoir on the way home from work yesterday, and had a good haul of small-medium crappie and small-medium bluegill. It was getting pretty dark and the action had slowed to all but nothing but I was itching to get 1 more fish. Finally, I hooked into another bluegill that I told myself would be the last of the day. Looking at the small size of the bluegill, however, I thought I'd throw one last cast out there. When my fly came into vision, I decide to pull it out and call it quits. Right before I did so, I saw a good sized fish turn away right before striking.I quickly flicked the small leech pattern out a few feet, gave it a twitch, gave it another twitch, then saw a light flash. I pulled the line hard and sure enough had a fish on. I then realized that it was a BIG fish (comparatively to my fly and rod size). After a minute, the crappie was close enough to pull out. I had 6lb tipper on and as soon as I grabbed it and lifted the fish out of water, it promptly snapped. My heart sank, all was lost (including my fly). My eyes then lowered and I was surprised to see the fish (obviously not the smartest one I've ever caught) still sitting there, fully submerged but not moving. I quickly reached down, grabbed him around the back, and lifted him out, fly in mouth. After a few quick pictures (the best of which are below) I released him back into the urban wild to fight another day.

The pictures don't do him true justice. But he was over a foot and definitely a couple of pounds.
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:28 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Monster crappie on my 2wt

That dwarfs your rod and reel...how adorable. I need a 2wt.

I caught a monster crappie like that a couple years back, about 15". I thought it was a turtle at first it didnt want to move at all.
nick k likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-29-2013, 12:33 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Should have taken a picture while holding the middle of it, that's when I really noticed how big it was.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:16 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Nick, that's an awesome story & a really beautiful Crappie, especially on a 2 wt!

I've caught 1 Crappie in my entire life that was huge! It was 18", caught in a small pond while fishing for bass. It hit a balsa popper made on a 2/0 size hook, on an 8 wt. I had caught 5"-8" crappies in that pond, but never dreamed such a fish could be in there! That was many, many years ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday. I've caught a few since that were in the 10" to 12" range on spinning tackle, but most have been 8" or under on flies.

Again, great post!
nick k likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-29-2013, 02:27 PM

This is by far the biggest one I've ever caught. I wasn't even aware that they got this big. I was so sad when the line broke and so happy when the fish didn't chose to capitalize on the opportunity.

Also forgot to mention that the fly I caught it on was tied on a size 12 hook. I was very surprised it even managed to stick in its mouth.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:01 AM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Congrats on a good day. Crappie can get to be 16" and over 3lb, but those are somewhat on the rare side. People in MS catch 14"+ and 2lb'rs all the time. Bet that one bent the 2wt a lot.