The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 09:40 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default "Just singin' in the Rain"

A steady rain here in PA today, so I got my rain gear and headed to a local lake. I left my pontoon home and only waded the shoreline.

I was catching lots of big bull bluegills in about 4' of water. I used my 3wt with floating line and tungsten bead head nymphs 14 and 12. This big common carp grabbed my fly and took off. He took me into the backing two times. I had a 4X leader on (with good Uni knots) so I wasn't worried about the line break.

The carp put a good bend in my 3 wt Helios. I have a life time warranty (Orvis is great with that. When I broke my Superfine, they repaired quickly with no questions asked) but I was super careful not to break this rod. I couldn't be happier with this Helios, for me it's the ultimate fishing fun rod.

I was "singin' in the rain" all afternoon as I caught about 50 bluegills, 6 largemouth, and that big carp (it's the biggest fish ever on my 3wt). I'm thinking about getting my 8wt ready for carp fishing only?

Tight Lines

Click the image to open in full size.

ditz, riverbilly and cuffer like this.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Business Member

South Holston will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "Just singin' in the Rain"

Question- Why fish for some of the fish with a 3 wt.? Sometimes you push the limits on a rod.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:10 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Holston View Post
Question- Why fish for some of the fish with a 3 wt.? Sometimes you push the limits on a rod.
Because it's the fun of catchin' that I love! I used to have a 1wt Superfine that was so wonderful with a 5" 'gill on!

I thought that I should have purchased a 2wt Helios ...... rather than the 3wt I got? But I now catch big gills up to 9", some small bass, and lots of big crappie and white perch, so the 3wt is best for me.

Same thing with the trout. You really don't need anything bigger than a 3wt?
ditz and defishing like this.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:07 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Nice carp! I would definetly rod up if you get after carp seriously...you don't want to be undergunned and have to fight em to death. Beautiful fish man!
argail likes this.

Carp on the Fly
Old 06-06-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john montana View Post
Nice carp! I would definetly rod up if you get after carp seriously...you don't want to be undergunned and have to fight em to death. Beautiful fish man!
John,
Yeah, I agree. I've got a pretty neat 8wt with a neat LA reel. But ...... fighting a carp to death?? they are so hearty, I think I could toss them on the bank for a hour and they would still swim away! LOL The pollution and hot water don't seem to bother them in the river? They are almost indestructible!

I used to use that outfit in the Susquehanna when there were lots of smallmouth and channel cats. Simply Nirvana during the White Fly hatch.

After this storm goes by, I'll post a report with the abundant carp that seem to be everywhere now! I'll tie some neat "carp flies"

edit: John, I looked at your avatar and all I can say is "wow". My carp was about 8 lbs, yours looks about 30! I see that you and a lot of folks target carp with a fly rod.

I think Whitlock said "carp with a fly rod is the last frontier" Even the freshwater guides are going after carp with a long rod now! Me too .......
Old 06-07-2013, 08:12 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

hey rick i live in northern md right now but am moving to stewartstown this winter. im a bluegill junkie like you and i think i know the lake your fishing just wanted to ask you a couple questions regarding boat requirments etc. out of respect i dont wanna write the name on here without asking if you wanna pm me and answer acouple questions that would be great. thanks.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:06 AM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Carp are just about all I fish for anymore. I like the sight fishig aspect...and it doesn't hurt that they get big! Granted, they are tough fish but my personal feeling is if I am going to chase something with a fly rod, be it a bluegill, trout, steelhead or carp, I am going to give it as much respect as I can and unless keeping to eat, try to return it to the water quickly. Just the way I am wired.

That 8 wt will be a great carp rod. I mostly fish a 7 out here but my average fish is around 10 lbs. I tangle with some big ones (I caught 19 that were over 20 last year) but the 7 and stout tippet had been good to me and the fish. You will not feel like you have too much rod with an 8 wt though

Congrats on the carp! Careful. It is a slippery slope!
mcnerney likes this.

Carp on the Fly
Old 06-07-2013, 10:07 AM

zum will become famous soon enough

WTG,landing that fish with a 3wt....nice job.
I'm looking for a 3wt rod myself,most smallmouth that I catch are under a foot.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:52 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Carp are not trout. A prolonged battle will not kill them. Same with Catfish.

'Course bass fishermen ski fish in, but that is,,,another kind'a fishing altogether.

Us 3wt fishermen should start a Coven for the Fine Arts !
Old 06-07-2013, 01:41 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

A prolonged battle can kill any fish, just look at all those a**clowns in the PTTS. The amount of lactic acid that builds up in the mucle fibers can cause some serious damage to them. While they might have a stronger tolerance then trout, it can still affect them negativly.

I like my 8wt for carp. its not too much rod at all. I have landed them with a 5wt and while doable...it was sketchey.

Storm Drain Bonefisher