The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2008, 06:55 AM

Spysmasher is on a distinguished road
Default A Good Fly Line Rec. for Warm Water Gills(Bream)

Getting re-started fly fishing here in Lake County Fl. Looking for a Good floating line for lake gills at a modest price. Would pay more for a line that didn't need maintenance. I probably don't need the pricey but really great Cortland 555 High Float. Suggestions appreciated.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:38 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: A Good Fly Line Rec. for Warm Water Gills(Bream)

Rio classic, orvis clearwater, hook and hackle's hi floater, aircel supreme II, redington's standard floaters (sierratradingpost?), cortland 333 PRO, cortland 444 "peach" and cortland 333+... all can be had for under $40 i think, and all good quality lines.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

SA Headstart, perfect for what you're after. Scientific Anglers Mastery Series Freshwater Floating Headstart Fly Line

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:36 AM

Thanks for the info, It appears fly lines have improved considerably since the old days when I had to apply dressing every time out. Thanks again!
Old 02-02-2008, 09:27 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

When I saw the topic name, I was all set to recommend my favorite: Cortland 555 Dyna Tip (I use size 4). Then I read hat you didn't need the excellent 555...why not?

Over the years I've moved from Level line to beginners weight forward to 333 to 444. No mater what line, I always ended up with the tip sinking after a few fish. The little extra that the Dyna Tip costs is well worth it.

Whatever line you end up with, I recommend the SA L2L Reconnect leaders (reviews on this website). It will keep the tip floating, acts like a small strike indicator, and improves line lickup and leader turnover for longer, smoother casts.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 02-04-2008, 06:05 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

I'd lean toward a bass bug taper. Even with 'gills you may find you want to toss some fairly heavy poppers on a breezy day. The short heavy bass tapers just makes it easier. And, what if you want to cast a big bass fly for Mr. Largemouth?

Joe

crosscurrentguideservice.com
Old 02-05-2008, 11:57 AM

Thanks Joe! That makes sense. I'll try it for sure. Lakes I'll be fishing are known as good bass lakes. As for a line, I bought a Scientific Anglers Ultra 3 WF6F for $29 free shipping! from discountfishinginc.com Not sure if posting retail web sites is ok. If deleted I'll know for future posts.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
I'd lean toward a bass bug taper. Even with 'gills you may find you want to toss some fairly heavy poppers on a breezy day. The short heavy bass tapers just makes it easier. And, what if you want to cast a big bass fly for Mr. Largemouth?

Joe
I agree, that's why i recommended the Headstart. One of the worst kept secrets in the industry is that the SA Headstart is about 99% identical to a the Mastery Bass Bug line for about $20 less.

Not trying to argue, just telling why i reco'd what i did.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:16 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I agree, that's why i recommended the Headstart. One of the worst kept secrets in the industry is that the SA Headstart is about 99% identical to a the Mastery Bass Bug line for about $20 less.

Not trying to argue, just telling why i reco'd what i did.
No need to argue Cliff. The Headstart line is a decent line. It's half a size heavier for its weight rating, ten feet shorter and has a head length that is five feet or more shorter than a Bass Bug line. The difference in the rear taper is huge. I think they're both yellow and made by Scientific Angler, so yeah, they are the same.

Joe

crosscurrentguideservice.com
Old 02-06-2008, 12:21 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

I've been using Rio Selective trout DT 3wt floating lately and it works very well for bream. It has worked so well for bream in the last 3 days but I'm not sure it's the arrow vs. the indian here.