The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dabluz
  • 1 Post By turbineblade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 12:12 PM

muppetmullet81 is on a distinguished road
Default building leaders

I fish a 9 ft 8 wt rod with wf/f line. If I were to start building my own leaders for LM bass (mostly clouser minnow, and heavy cone head divers) flys. What would be a suggested test weight size to start with. Is 20lb mono tapered down to a 10 lb enough or is it over kill. And I don't like store bought leaders.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:15 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: building leaders

It depends more on the stiffness of the leader material. I think I would opt for 30 lb test leader material for the butt section of my leader.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:47 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

You could probably do pretty well with a simple 2-3 part leader of 30lb >> 20lb>> 12-15lb of about 5-10' in total length, depending upon water clarity, still/moving water, etc.

I just used a 2 part leader of a really long butt section of 25lb test mono tied to a short tippet of 10lb mono. Your 20 >> 10 pound would probably cast fine for LMB. I'd experiement with it and just use a more heavy butt section if the 20 pound doesn't turn over so well.

For poppers you could just tie on a length of 10-15 pound mono and be done with it.....if it turns over poorly and slaps the water you are probably helping the presentation on these kind of lures .
rockthief likes this.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:30 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

On a full-floater, I tend to stick with a furled leader of about 50" and 3' of 12 pound test. On a sinking/sink-tip line, I do 18" of 20 pound test and 12" of 12-15 pound test. These turn everything that I have over pretty well.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:08 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Maxima Chameleon is really tough and on the rigid side of mono.

With "Chuck-n-Duck" its hard to go too heavy on the butt section. Given what you described, I'd start at 4' of #40 -> 3' of #20 -> 2' of #12 all connected with perfection loops, and modify as needed form there. If you are looking for more depth without sinking your WFF, elongate the #40.

Have been using a stout 9' saltwater leader I clipped off at about 6' and tied on a tiny split ring and running 2' - 3' feet of #12 off the improvised tippet ring.

If you are doing huge jumps in diameter and using blood knots, double over the finer diameter mono.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:52 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Large Mouth aren't generally line shy so I would stay on the heavier side. 30/20/12 or even 30/25/15 if you dealing with lilypads or grass and throwing poppers.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:17 PM

kylebass91 has a spectacular aura aboutkylebass91 has a spectacular aura about

If I'm fishing for bass with my 7 weight I just use a straight shot of 10-20 lb test
Old 06-19-2013, 01:23 AM

lostangler is on a distinguished road

The rule of thumb is 60 20 20. So it would be 60% of the leader is butt section, and the next 20% is a transition section and the final 20% is the tippet.

So for me it is say six feet of 25, a foot and a half of 15 and then a foot and a half of 10. The cheaper the mono for the but section the better it unloads.

This might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsFFKuXlNQw