The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 12:01 AM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default Brown and blue...

Wanted to spend all weekend chasing the brown fish and the blue-cheeked redeye.

Got on the water Saturday with hopes of finally getting a bigger smallmouth. However, as most of my fishing trips are, it was not ideal. For some reason the fishing was extremely slow, except for the rock bass. I made the comment early on that I have never caught a rockbass. I ate those words the rest of the day as I caught probably 386,423,510 of them, some even beat out the smallmouth for the fly. I now hate rock bass. A LOT!

I got on the board early with a decent brownfish.
Click the image to open in full size.

And then it happened, my first rock bass.

And then another, then another....(only took pics of the larger ones)

It was still a nice float...

Caught a nicely colored up longear sunfish...

I did stay in the brownfish enough to keep me interested. Caught 15 or so on the day, although most were still in middle school. And I thought I was having a bad day...

More pics...

It was a good time and I definitely need to get redemption on that creek.

Sunday morning I wanted more abuse and decided to hit up the canyon for some redeye action. The tube hatch was out in full force....

However, a little hiking, swimming, and falling and you can get away from all that. It wasn't a stellar day, but I caught some redeye and a gazillion green sunfish and redbreasted sunfish. I hooked into one redeye that had to be 10 inches and very chunky. I lost him right at my feet. I would go on to lose some other smaller ones before I could get a pic, but I did get a few.

This place is heaven on earth, but man is it tough on the feet, boots and shins.

These were everywhere on the rocks. It would be cool to fish one of the hatches there...

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 06-20-2013, 12:02 AM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Brown and blue...

At one of the big pools, Mr. No shoulders decided to swim across and freak me out.

I just assume all snakes are moccasins to play it safe. Apparently a buddy knew the difference.

I went on to catch several smaller redeye and more panfish. The scenery and company were good, but man am I glad to be home and on level ground. You can only walk on those boulders for so long.

Caught this little guy in the pool above:

Came across this little branch stream on the way out, I may need to investigate it further next time.

I started out chasing brown and blue, and in the end, my shins are brown and blue.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:04 AM

dpenrod is on a distinguished road

that is some beautiful water. if you're a catch and keep kind of guy, rock bass (or goggle eye here in missouri) make some pretty good eating.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:03 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Your fishing trip posts are always just plain great! Beautiful country and great photographs to show it off.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-20-2013, 07:44 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Thats some gorgious water and those redeye bass are something else! I need to add that area to my list of trips to go on.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-20-2013, 09:23 AM

Thanks guys. It's easy taking good pics with scenery and fish that beautiful. I have never eaten rock bass, but I'm not above trying it. I am heading back into the canyon this weekend for some more coosa bass action. I just hope my feet are up to the challenge!

Old 06-20-2013, 09:40 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

What a great post!

That fish with the giant gash is an amazing example to show how resilient these things are.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:51 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

what?! never eaten rock bass, Matt! come by the house sometime and i can unload some from my freezer. taste just like bluegill
Old 06-20-2013, 11:04 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Great Stuff! love the moving water.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:50 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

That was a great trip report .The snake thing freaks me out even though i see them all the time i still don't like them.