The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 08:28 AM

nir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Sunfish report

Nice fish! That green sunfish is especially nice!! We don't have that species up here.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:43 AM

fishers_fisherman will become famous soon enough

Nice Pics! Mentioned it in a previous thread too but those green sunfish/warmouths have quickly become my favorite
Old 09-11-2013, 09:37 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemac4 View Post
That 2nd fish is a green sunfish- bluegill hybrid. They are very aggressive and with that big mouth will hit almost anything. They dont get as round as bluegills do when larger, but I've caught some of 10 in that were great fun. Notice the turquoise "warpaint" stripes on side of face. Mike
Gotta disagree with you, that looks about as pure a green sunfish as you'll see, exactly what all greenies look like in my area. Hybrids have different coloration and smaller mouths than that one.
theboz likes this.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:17 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

I agree with al_a ..... it's a pure green sunfish!

The green sunfish seem to be more aggressive than the bluegills? In all the lakes I fish, the green sunfish control the shoreline. They hug the shoreline and will hit bigger flies! That's great for a fly rodder like me! I love to fish the shoreline with a little bigger flies!

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:11 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

green sunfish are also more territorial-aggressive than bluegill. I had a 125 gallon tank for a few years with those 2 species and the green sunfish were very central american "cichlid-like" vs. the relatively peaceful bluegill in the tank. And there was plenty of room to distribute territorial pressure....well, at least vs. the typical 55 gallon most people keeping native fish tend to use.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:01 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

That green sunfish has spectacular colors. I caught one of those a while back in a local pond, and I thought it looked like a hybrid between a largemouth bass and a bluegill. I had no idea what it was until now.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

-VB