The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 05:09 PM

dpenrod is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Small flies on an 8wt

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
I'd look at 7wt rods. There is no compromise though. You really need 2 rods. I'd go 7wt and 3wt.
i agree. fishing for bluegill with an 8wt. would be kinda like hunting squirrel with a .30-06. would it get the job done? absolutely, but it's complete overkill. cabela's has their three forks 7'6" 3 piece 3wt. on sale for $39 right now. if you're already ordering the tlr 8wt., just add the three forks to your order. everyone i know who has one is quite happy with that little 3wt. and to be honest for most of the bass you'll be catching (unless you're routinely catching 5+ lber's), it is a more than adequate rod. just food for thought. my go to panfish rod is a tfo 7' 4/5wt. bug launcher. really a 4wt. and can be found on the cheap if you look hard enough. good luck and let us all know what you decide.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:36 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

What you lose fishing with an 8wt is the 'fight' once you've hooked the fish, unless you're using really light tippet which is probably unnecessary for bluegills. Getting fish in faster is better for the fish in the long run. Using an 8wt doesn't give you any advantage over a 3wt or 4wt when it comes to catching them (maybe if you're casting on a windy day) but it does let you fish for large fish and with larger flies as well as the bluegills without buying another rod. I own a number of rods in different weights and lengths, so have nothing against using lighter tackle for smaller fish but it isn't necessary.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:41 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

When I go out for warm water fish I take an 8wt. and "another" rod.
The rods from the "another" pile are mostly 6wts. but I don't really care one way or the other. I got lots of "anothers". Just as longs as it's lighter than an 8.
One rod for big bugs and one for "another".
After that, you're putting too much thought into it. seriously !
Old 06-22-2013, 06:18 PM

gannoli is on a distinguished road

I really appreciate everyone's input. I thought about a 7wt but they only offer a 10ft 7wt TLr and that's a little too long for me. Unless some one can recommend a similar priced and quality rod that's 9ft 7wt. However I think I will end up going with the eight weight because it offers me the most versatility. I'll more than likely add another rod (3 or 4wt) down the road but I just want to get out fishing.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:46 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

I think your going to be fine with just an 8 wt. Take it from a guy who fishes in Wisconsin over 100 days a year.
If I had to use only rod it'd be a 8 wt. Especially for the stuff a guy fishes or has the opportunity to fish in Wisconsin. Muskie, Pike, Large and Smallmouth Bass, Steelhead, Lake run Browns, Coho's. All 8wt stuff, maybe a bit light for muskies, not because of the fight but for size of the flies.
Where are you located when your at home?
Old 06-22-2013, 08:43 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

i think your on the right track with the 8 wt. get a decent eight that will get you out on the water and handle the bigger fish. when the budget allows get a 4 or 5 for panfish smaller creek bass etc. it takes time to build a rod quiver but if you do it piece by piece over time you will end up with equipment taht you enjoy and does the job it needs to well instead of doing a little of everything but nothing really well.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunker View Post
I think your going to be fine with just an 8 wt. Take it from a guy who fishes in Wisconsin over 100 days a year.
If I had to use only rod it'd be a 8 wt. Especially for the stuff a guy fishes or has the opportunity to fish in Wisconsin. Muskie, Pike, Large and Smallmouth Bass, Steelhead, Lake run Browns, Coho's. All 8wt stuff, maybe a bit light for muskies, not because of the fight but for size of the flies.
Where are you located when your at home?
In IL about an hour northwest of Chicago.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:32 PM

Well, just got back from cabelas. Ended up getting the 8wt TLr with a Prestige Premier reel. Probably spent more than I should have but you know what they say, young and dumb. I just hoping this setup last me a long time (now where's that rod/reel/line maintenance guide *scratching my head*)