The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 01:37 PM

gannoli is on a distinguished road
Default Small flies on an 8wt

So I'm in the market for a new rod, my last (and only) went for a ride on top of my moms car and never came back. I mostly fish for bass but depending on where I am I will also go for panfish, trout/salmon and pike, also I'm looking to start carp fishing as they seem to be pretty much every where these days. I'm have my eyes on a Cabela's TLr 8wt (currently on sale). I think I want the 8wt so I can throw the big bass bugs and to help with windy conditions (I'm still relatively new to fly casting), also for when I'm in northern WI (parents lake house) I can go after pike and if I start going to carp, there's some big ones around me.

My only concern with an 8wt is if I happen to be fishing for panfish will I still be able to throw smaller flies? I know the whole 'can't golf with only one club' but still being a novice and on a budget I want to get something that will best fit all my needs, which at this point I think is an 8wt instead of a 6wt. What are your guys thoughts? Thanks.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:42 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Small flies on an 8wt

Yes you can throw small bugs with the 8wt. Might not always be the most delicate presentation but panfish won't care.

ps love fishing in N. Wisconsin. There's a spot on the river up there that has held a couple large smallies the past two years. I'm looking forward to getting up there in September to see if they are still there.
mcnerney and MoscaPescador like this.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:21 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

You will be able to fish small flies. Use a longer leader when targeting smaller fish so the larger fly line does not spook the fish.

You have quite a large range for target fish. If you want to fish for chinook salmon on the Lake Michigan feeder streams, an eight weight is under gunned. For the other larger fish you mentioned, you should be good unless you hook a monster of a pike.
mcnerney and MoscaPescador like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-21-2013, 03:41 PM

gannoli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
ps love fishing in N. Wisconsin. There's a spot on the river up there that has held a couple large smallies the past two years. I'm looking forward to getting up there in September to see if they are still there.
I love it up there too, our place is in Rhinelander, so I do most of my fishing on squash lake, boom lake and some of the WI river. I'm actually going up there for the fourth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
You will be able to fish small flies. Use a longer leader when targeting smaller fish so the larger fly line does not spook the fish.

You have quite a large range for target fish. If you want to fish for chinook salmon on the Lake Michigan feeder streams, an eight weight is under gunned. For the other larger fish you mentioned, you should be good unless you hook a monster of a pike.
Thanks for the tip. I know its quite the range but I mainly target bass and panfish. Although sometimes I hook into pike when bass fishing so I want to be prepared. And I have only been steelhead fishing once but I want to be ready if I ever get a call to go.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:20 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gannoli View Post
I love it up there too, our place is in Rhinelander, so I do most of my fishing on squash lake, boom lake and some of the WI river. I'm actually going up there for the fourth.
We stay is just a bit north of there. The spot I fish is on the Manitowish, some nice places to wade for smallies and the occasional pike. Enjoy it!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:34 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

I'd look at 7wt rods. There is no compromise though. You really need 2 rods. I'd go 7wt and 3wt.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:58 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

The small flies will work on the 8-wt as stated. However, you will not get as much enjoyment out of the fight going for bluegill with an 8-wt.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:38 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

8 weights can be fun with panfish. I like to tie on a hopper and then an 18"tippet with a grub fly. Its double the fun

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-22-2013, 03:43 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
The small flies will work on the 8-wt as stated. However, you will not get as much enjoyment out of the fight going for bluegill with an 8-wt.

This.

I think an 8wt is the standard rod weight for bonefish.

Have you ever looked at the size of most bonefish flies?

Click the image to open in full size.

von behr likes this.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:17 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

It's all about the leader/tippet when changing fly sizes. Many of us use 8wts for atlantic salmon and bonefish. Especially for atlantics, in the spring you might be casting larger streamers, in midsummer you could be down to size 10 or 12 hairwings. A change of leader and tippet is all that's necessary, not a change of rod.
Gary