The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 12:02 AM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice
Default 1st LMB on a topwater fly

My name is Gabriel........and I have a problem.....

today I caught my first LMB on a topwater fly (foam frog popper) and actually felt a tingling in my body that signaled the start of a dangerous fly fishing addiction.

I had already come to grips with my addiction (got a 6 wt and 8 wt TFO mangrove in a span of about 3 weeks) but today took it to a new level.

In fact, while recounting the story of how I landed the fish to the old lady.....she gave me the look of, "we both know that you are now gonna go after a different fly fishing set up."

So onto the actual hook up:

I had tied on a small nymph and had been catching bream after bream for about an hour and then decided I would go after bass on top. I tied on the frog popper and sure enough....that was the ticket.

I make the perfect cast, (at least in my eyes it was perfect) let the ripples die out......make one large strip of the line and the fly goes under with a beautiful "pop!"

The fly comes up for air and I let the fly sit for a second or two and then give it two short strips......I let it sit......and then BAM!!!! the fly goes under and I feel the tug of a nice little fish!

The fight was beautiful! The fish actually went aerial 3 times and rolled itself in the line while jumping towards some lili pads, but some quick pulls of the line and it was free again and I brought it to shore.

my first LMB on a topwater fly. Far from a lunker........but it was beautiful.

Definitely one of those fish I'll remember forever. It made me remember how my mom helped me get started fishing when I was about 8 years old.......she did the best that she could......

21 years later.....still in the sport and locked onto flyfishing.

sorry for the lengthy read.....but really excited about this 1st for me.

I took some pics with the new camera but I don't have the right to post attachments so as soon as I do....I'll post pics.

thanks!
Old 06-22-2013, 01:38 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st LMB on a topwater fly

Great story! Topwater bass, there's not much like it. It is so visual and explosive. Taking them on streamers is fun cause you feel the hit, but watching it happen is amazing. Thanks for posting the story!
Old 06-22-2013, 07:35 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Cant bet them man, welcome to the club. Start saving money so you can just start dumping it right back into the sport haha. Its a vicious cycle.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-22-2013, 07:44 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Top water bass is an addition in it's own right. Throw a fly rod into the game and you are toast! Congrats to the first of many. The excitement never gets old
Old 06-22-2013, 09:34 AM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Great story! Topwater bass, there's not much like it. It is so visual and explosive. Taking them on streamers is fun cause you feel the hit, but watching it happen is amazing. Thanks for posting the story!
I've been into fishing now for about 8months or so and have landed a couple of bass with streamers and you're absolutely right. Its a added dimension to feel for the hit.

One of the things i used to do as a young teen was make my own fishing "rod" out of a water bottle. I would wrap the line around and around and then toss the line out. That actually provided great training as i had to rely solely on the feel of the line between my fingers.

Why new that would come back and full circle and be helpful...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Cant bet them man, welcome to the club. Start saving money so you can just start dumping it right back into the sport haha. Its a vicious cycle.
One of the things important gonna do this month is try to make it out to the local fly fishing club monthly meeting.

I was telling the old lady that i love me new 6wt mangrove and its awesome to catch bass on it but how good would it feel to catch em on something like a 4wt or 5wt.

I was telling her that joining this club would be good to make friends and cast differrent rods to see how different they feel when catching. I feel like my mangrove has great backbone and make that affects how the catching feels?

I told her that it was definitely overkill for the small sunfish and bream i kept catching.

After this conversation she just stared at me and told me that i just wanted another set up. It was kind of anti climactic.....

Either way....you're right....important starting a jar and saving up for a 4wt maybe.

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

I don't look it in the pic but im pretty dam happy!

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

As the others have already stated, it doesn't get any better than top water smallie fishing. You are right a 4 or 5 wt would be a better setup for the size of smallies your catching.............the addiction only gets worse and the worst part is there is no known cure, it's best to sit back and enjoy the moments that will come!

Old 06-22-2013, 12:40 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

Congrats
Old 06-22-2013, 12:44 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Congratulations, and nice post. There is something magical about seeing your fly being taken from the surface by a predatory fish. It gets the heart pumping before you feel the weight of the fish or the first head shake.

There's nothing like it.

-VB
Old 06-22-2013, 01:53 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Great to see the pictures! Here's a video that might get your heart pumping. Never done it but taking pike on topwater flies might top bass, something fun about these predators slamming a fly.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:33 PM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsubeta04 View Post
My name is Gabriel........and I have a problem.....

today I caught my first LMB on a topwater fly (foam frog popper) and actually felt a tingling in my body that signaled the start of a dangerous fly fishing addiction.

I had already come to grips with my addiction (got a 6 wt and 8 wt TFO mangrove in a span of about 3 weeks) but today took it to a new level.

In fact, while recounting the story of how I landed the fish to the old lady.....she gave me the look of, "we both know that you are now gonna go after a different fly fishing set up."

So onto the actual hook up:

I had tied on a small nymph and had been catching bream after bream for about an hour and then decided I would go after bass on top. I tied on the frog popper and sure enough....that was the ticket.

I make the perfect cast, (at least in my eyes it was perfect) let the ripples die out......make one large strip of the line and the fly goes under with a beautiful "pop!"

The fly comes up for air and I let the fly sit for a second or two and then give it two short strips......I let it sit......and then BAM!!!! the fly goes under and I feel the tug of a nice little fish!

The fight was beautiful! The fish actually went aerial 3 times and rolled itself in the line while jumping towards some lili pads, but some quick pulls of the line and it was free again and I brought it to shore.

my first LMB on a topwater fly. Far from a lunker........but it was beautiful.

Definitely one of those fish I'll remember forever. It made me remember how my mom helped me get started fishing when I was about 8 years old.......she did the best that she could......

21 years later.....still in the sport and locked onto flyfishing.

sorry for the lengthy read.....but really excited about this 1st for me.

I took some pics with the new camera but I don't have the right to post attachments so as soon as I do....I'll post pics.

thanks!
cool story Gabriel ! Keep on in the good spirit!
look for sale in August on this website: Fly Fishing Brands at the Blue Quill Angler