The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By kingofamberley
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By rvc
  • 1 Post By shug11

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 10:12 AM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road
Default small creek with some self-ties last night

I hit a creek that I like for a couple hours after work last night. I wasn't even sure if I was up to going but I was looking on google maps and found a new access point, so I figured what the heck. This point is a bit further upstream than I have ventured before so I wasn't sure what to expect. It turns out that this creek is surprisingly nice upstream. The bed is nice and wide, the water was crystal clear, the pools are a little far between but they do hold fish. Its weird because I have been in more urban streams of the same size that only have creek chubs if that, so this was almost like stepping back in time. I digress.
I started off throwing a craw imitation I came up with, nothing elegant but I like it because I used some of my cat's shed fur for dubbing on it (it looks good for craws because it is a light tan/orange/pink color). I believe it was the bottom one here.
Click the image to open in full size.
Almost immediately I see a smallie chase it down and slurp it up! Now this guy doesn't look huge, but these creek smallies fight like no other. He was pulling out a little bit of drag on my 6 wt and everything.
I lost that fly in a tree soon after. I tried several flies for a while, including a shannon's streamer and a wooly bugger, with no success. I could see fish, but between the crystal clear water and my shabby casting, they would often get spooked before they would commit.
As light started fading, I decided to follow a hunch and try some topwater flies. I have never been a huge topwater guy but it always sounds like so much fun, so I tied on a Gartside Gurgler inspired popper thing that I tied with closed-cell craft foam sheets from Walmart:
It was getting a LOT of attention from bluegills, but the hook was too big for them. I know if I switched down to one of my foam spiders or something I could have been pulling them in left and right, but I was after the few bass that reside in these upper reaches. I walked up to a little pool and tossed it out (real easy to cast since foam doesn't weigh much), and too my pleasant surprise it was chased down and smacked by a feisty little largemouth!
I caught a couple ever-aggressive green sunfish, which didn't get pictures, but then I caught this guy who I wanted to document, as this is (believe it or not) my first Ohio rock bass. I've caught epic amounts of them in Lake St. Claire but for some reason I guess I just haven't been in the right place/time to find them in Ohio before.
After this it got darker so I headed out. This creek is really interesting and I will continue to explore it further. When the water is this clear I feel like I would do better with spinning gear, so I can cast further and avoid spooking fish. I might even come back with worms sometime and target the numerous suckers I saw, but that will be a tale for a non-flyfishing forum.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: small creek with some self-ties last night

Congrats on the great outting! I know what you mean about smallies, they are tremendous fighters and don't have to be all that big to put out a fun battle.
kingofamberley and shug11 like this.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:02 AM

rvc is on a distinguished road

Really neat "Gartside Gurgler inspired popper thing." And I think I'll try the cat fur dubbing. We have an abundance of it around here. Thanks for the pictures.

I love the flat water here in Central Florida but all those streams sure are pretty.

RVC
kingofamberley likes this.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:43 AM

shug11 is on a distinguished road

Nice fish! I love smallies and the fight they put out no matter how big or small they are. I bet it was even more satisfactory when using your own tied flies!
kingofamberley likes this.