The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 03:40 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default My (almost) first carp

I went fishing for carp in the local reservoir with a friend today. I had never caught one before, but my friend has caught plenty. About 30 minutes in, I hooked up with my first carp on 4x tippet. It turned out to be one of the larger ones in the pond, which my friend estimated at 15-18lbs.

As soon as the fish felt the hook, he took off. Watching my line go out, I saw the backing start to appear. A second after the last inch of fly line left my guides, I felt a pop and the line went slack. My heart sank, as I assumed the light tippet had busted. I then noticed that my fly line was sitting in the water by the bank, and my backing wasn't attached to it. I scrambled down the rock embankment, through my rod tip in the water, and snatched up the end of the fly line before the carp could make away with it.

At this point, I still assumed all was lost, as I thought the carp would make another run and I had no attached backing to give. Thankfully, the carp decided to stick to the bottom and dog it out. I quickly threw the end of the fly line to my friend and told him to tie it back onto the backing. There was only a few feet of extra fly line to hold onto so I would surely lose the fish if he swam another 10ft out.

Luckily, my friend finished tying the line to the backing, handed me back the rod, and I was able to get the fish safely back on rod and reel. The fight then continued for another 15 minutes or so, with the large carp making multiple long runs.

Unfortunately, the fly finally came free when I had gotten the carp to shore and my friend was about to tail him. It was essentially as close as it could have come to landing the fish without actually doing so. Although I didn't get the chance to take any pictures with the beast, I will always remember the carp that I had to hand line.

Last edited by nick k; 06-23-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:34 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default Re: My (almost) first carp

Wow! way to go, Nick.

Carp are next on my list.
nick k likes this.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:46 PM

gannoli is on a distinguished road

Oh man that's one heck of a story, sorry to hear you never got him in hand. Similar thing happened to me a few summers ago, I was spin casting with a ultralight, in the WI river, and hooked into what looked like a 4-5lb smally. After about a 15 min fight I had him at my feet when he hit the rocks and shook the hook, so sad
nick k likes this.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:20 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I'd say that counts anyway
nick k likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-23-2013, 08:22 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

It was intense and definitely hooked me on carp. I got him with a corn fly I tied.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:23 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I got him with a corn fly I tied.
Nick,

Sometimes I go "Euro" carp fishing. Long rods with electronic bite sensors and a "hair rig" system. Look alike foam rubber corn with different scents.

I'm going to make a fly with them when I go fly rod carp fishing. I'm pretty sure regular corn would fly off the hook when casting, but this stuff is really strong.

Also, carp seem to eat almost anything and all the time. The carp I caught last week was on a unscented bead head nymph ...... size 14.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:24 AM

A lot of people in the reservoir use corn to fish, plus a lot of them try chumming the carp with corn. Almost none of the spin rodders actually catch the carp, but it makes a great food source for my friend and I to imitate.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:23 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

I catch them on nymphs, etc (hybrid is my go to fly). congrats on your first! with an unscented fly the key is to find feeding fish...hard to talk them into eat with an artificial.

Carp on the Fly
Old 06-24-2013, 12:35 PM

Hah, was waiting for you to find this thread John. I knew it was just a matter of time.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:47 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Hey, after all that, it's a catch! Great story, better luck next trip!

Craig
nick k likes this.