The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 12:11 PM

muppetmullet81 is on a distinguished road
Default 6 wt bass fishing

Hey everyone. I use a 9 ft 8 wt rod for most of my bass fishing. But if I wanted to use my 6 wt what are the prefered flys for catching largemouth bass. I know that the bigger the fly the harder it is to cast which is why I use my 8wt. but what is a good fly for the 6 wt?
Old 06-25-2013, 12:13 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: 6 wt bass fishing

I regularly throw buggers with my 5Wt for bass. They seem to like all sort of variations on that pattern.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:29 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

i have a few 8wt. and 6wt. setups. all very different...my 6wt. Redington Predator is a pretty fast rod and i can throw #2 clousers and #1 poppers with it. my 6wt. TFO PRO II 6wt. can throw them also but i have to slow waay down....so i mostly use #4 clousers, crayfish, and poppers. and my 8wts. can handle everything up to my 4/0 double frog fly.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:16 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

A lot has been said, but you can also throw the same hopper patterns that you use for trout.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:07 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I've used a 6 wt a lot for bass, and have even tossed some very large flies, that would have been easier to cast with an 8 wt. The main difference is distance. The lighter rod will be much more limited for distance the bigger the flies are. However, if you simply scale the flies down a bit, that you have used with the 8 wt, that should still work well. (Guessing you tie your own!)

Buggers, as has been suggested certainly work well, and so do many trout flies as MoscaPescador suggested. I've always liked some of the big western trout flies, particularly some of the foam hoppers, such as Chernobyls or Triple Deckers, or some of the many large Stoneflies, both nymphs & surface flies. Some of the flies used for Steelhead work well for bass too. For example, Intruders, and IMO they work extremely well in rivers & streams for bass.

You might also consider flies such as Crazy Charlies or Gotcha's, used in saltwater for Bonefish or Redfish, and other "flats" species. (Squimps are a favorite of mine for Smallmouth bass.) They can be cast with a 6 wt, and can imitate small crayfish or even baitfish. I use these types of flies with my 6 wt for White & Yellow Perch or Crappies, and have caught bass on them as well.

There really is little difference as far as the flies, except for the sizes, between what I'll use with a 6 wt as opposed to an 8 wt. Seaducers, Lefty's Deceivers , Clouser Minnows, and Half & Half's work fine for me.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:04 PM

So really just sizing things down a bit and I should have no proublem throwing things like clousers? Ok well thanks guys, I will try some of everything. I don't plan on getting rid of my 8 wt any time soon. But I always have my 6 wt in the storage of my car. So it will come in handy if and when I find some new bass water.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:49 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I should have no proublem throwing things like clousers?
Well, how much of a problem tossing Clousers will be will depend on you. If you have few problems with casting them with your 8 wt, then casting appropriate sizes with the 6 wt should not be difficult.

I've progressed in the opposite direction than what you're doing. I still use the 6 wt, and an 8 wt, but also may use a 9 or 10 wt for bass fishing. I've gone to larger flies, and heavier tippets, and like to throw into some really nasty snags & vegetation. Don't need the heavy rod for the size fish I'll usually catch, but it sure makes getting even a 2 lb bass out of the thick stuff that much less difficult.

Also, I primarily fish in tidal rivers & creeks, so there's always the possibility of Striped Bass being caught, and I like my chances better with the heavier rods should I encounter a Striper.
bmbailes likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:00 AM

On my clousers I tie in med size chain bead eyes rather than say dumb bell eyes that weigh more. So they are rather light but still sink, they actually give the fly a nice moderate fall rather than a diving motion and it allows me to retrieve them a little slower and it drives the fish nuts. Anyway they are no proublem what so ever to throw.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
On my clousers I tie in med size chain bead eyes rather than say dumb bell eyes that weigh more. So they are rather light but still sink, they actually give the fly a nice moderate fall rather than a diving motion and it allows me to retrieve them a little slower and it drives the fish nuts. Anyway they are no proublem what so ever to throw.
I tie them with various barbells & bead chain too. I also like that slower fall rate that bead chain gives for some of the shallower waters I fish. I also like to move the eyes down the hook shank a bit. Makes them look a little odd sometimes, but changes the way they fall. Allows them to glide, particularly with lighter weight eyes rather than dive as you've described.

Here's some I've tied. Basic chartreuse & white in size 1. The hooks are Daiichi straight shank worm hooks, the eyes are brass, and colored black with a Sharpie. I then coat them to prolong the color from getting rubbed off. The fish don't seem to care either way. These have "Rainbow" colored Krystal Flash & gold holographic Flashabou in them.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:12 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Anything you throw on your 8wt can be thrown on your 6wt. Obviously, they will land a little shorter, but how many bass do you seriously hook at 60ft?

My standard bass rod is a 6wt and I throw some big heavy/fluffy stuff. Don't give it a second thought, just keep using what you've been using. You will soon realize your 8wt was unnecessary.