The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By bigjim5589
  • 2 Post By kylebass91

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Going For Line Sides?

Last week one of the local guides (Andy Guibord) did an on the water striper clinic for our club. Only one of the members got to actually fish and he cought a little schoolie.

So anyway I'm excited to get out. The last couple days we had a bit of unseasonal weather rainy weather. So heres my question are adranamous fish like Stripers when in rivers effected as much as others by changes in barametric pressure, moon cycles and the like. I'm just wondering since the American River is only 5 minutes from where I live now I won't let it stop me from trying regardless.

Plus, by Friday my motor should be out of the shop from getting the bracket that mounts its to my boat fixed and I want to take it out on the weekend so I can cover more water to hopefully catch more and bigger fish.

In the mean time I'm going to wade a couple runs after work this evening.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 06-26-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:47 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Going For Line Sides?

I can't answer your question with any degree of accuracy or certainty, so will say it's possible. The only time I get concerned with moon phases is when it significantly changes tidal movements, and it does. Tidal flows do have affects on Stripers in the tidal rivers I fish most. Extreme high or low tides can change where they may be found & when. However, regardless of the variables they have to eat & will eventually, just like any other fish. Find what they eat, you'll likely find them. Simple really!

Since you will have the ability to move around, keep at it is the best advise I can give. Stripers do move around a lot as they follow prey. You just have to be in the right place & at the right time, then get a fly in front of them.
mcnerney and FlyBum like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-27-2013, 04:37 AM

kylebass91 has a spectacular aura aboutkylebass91 has a spectacular aura about

Tom I grew in Vacaville and spent much of my 19 years there in the Delta chasing LMB and Stripers. IMHO I don't think Stripers are as finicky when it comes to Baro and weather changes. To me they are naturally very aggressive fish and a lot of times when the LMB fishing was slow we could always go out and catch some Stripers in some of the deeper channels. Find some bait throw a white conehead bunny leach and hang on.
mcnerney and FlyBum like this.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:00 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Thanks for the replies I had a feeling in a river like the American it wouldn't make much if any difference.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:44 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I have to agree with Kyle. Stripers are more aggressive and feed in schools most of the time. I use white steamers mostly and make long casts, stay as far off of the fish as you can if you see them feeding. Keep an eye out for birds working an area, that can be a great sign they are pushing bait.

Craig
Old 06-30-2013, 08:16 PM

boyscout is on a distinguished road

Hey FlyBum, I'm no striper expert and I'm fishing SC so this might not apply but...several times I have gotten into stripers and they wanted somehting small like a 2" Clouser. Had buddies throwing large stuff on commie tackle and getting bumps but no solid hits while I was landing fish after fish (this is a rare event). For some strange reason, those fish in that river on that day just wanted small offerings. Seen it happen like 4 times but on the same river so it might be a match the hatch by accident sort of deal.

That being said, my PB striper hit a chart/yellow Deciever that was about 4 to 5 inches while smallie fishing so go figure.

Good luck figuring out those stripes. They are like smallies, "surrender" just ain't in thier dictionary.