The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 08:41 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice
Default Re: Good 9wt rods

for TFO i would go with a PRO 2 or if you are doing more bass fishing try out a TFO mini mag! love mine and a 9wt. is perfect for bass especially if you are hunting them in the thick stuff and throwing big bugs! thats part of the fun!!
Old 06-28-2013, 09:03 AM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Because you mentioned TFO, I have a friend with a 9wt Professional II and he is very happy with it.

As a personal note, I wouldn't use a 9wt for bass, unless you mean striped bass. WAY overkill on LMB or SMB.
Thats true, but i mainly fish poppers and streamers for bass. I fish a Sage LM Bass rod now which i find perfect. Somehow ive found a way to cast size 8 poppers well. The problem around here is if you fish anything too small, the sunfish will eat it before the bass even see it. Which is great - when youre fishing for sunfish.

I had a 7wt Orvis Silver Label which i didnt like too much. I couldnt cast anything very well past a size 6 hook weighted clouser. What weight would you recommend for LMB? I was planning on trying out carp and catfish on the fly with this rod also.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:21 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

i do all my largemouth fishing with either the TFO mini mag 8wt. or a Mystic 8wt. with sinking line. i have found the 8wt. throws anything i want. and pulls the big boys out of cover

Click the image to open in full size.

and the TFO throws these well!

Old 06-28-2013, 09:26 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

To be honest, and not to infer anything on your end, but I think that casting larger flies is much more about casting technique than rod weight. My standard bass rod is a 6wt and I throw everything from small to large, including size 2 heavy eyed clousers, large 1/0 foam frogs and mice, and heavily weighted crayfish. I've never felt that the 6wt was undergunned for my flies, especially since casting 80 ft is really unnecessary for almost all freshwater bassing applications.

My new primary rod for just about everything is a 2wt, and I can still throw size 6 tungsten bead leeches, smaller foam frogs, and medium streamers on it. If you know how to haul or double haul, you can save yourself 1 or 2 rod sizes and get more enjoyment out of the fish.

I guess if you are consistently pulling 6lb bass from a patch of lily pads than a 9wt might make sense, but I can get 25 lb stripers on my 9wt.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbailes View Post
i do all my largemouth fishing with either the TFO mini mag 8wt. or a Mystic 8wt. with sinking line. i have found the 8wt. throws anything i want. and pulls the big boys out of cover

and the TFO throws these well!

Wow those are monsters! So the mini mag is that good? I thought about getting one for their reputation for casting big flies and handling big fish well.

Whered you get that Frog fly? that thing is really cool!

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Quote:
To be honest, and not to infer anything on your end, but I think that casting larger flies is much more about casting technique than rod weight. My standard bass rod is a 6wt and I throw everything from small to large, including size 2 heavy eyed clousers, large 1/0 foam frogs and mice, and heavily weighted crayfish. I've never felt that the 6wt was undergunned for my flies, especially since casting 80 ft is really unnecessary for almost all freshwater bassing applications.

My new primary rod for just about everything is a 2wt, and I can still throw size 6 tungsten bead leeches, smaller foam frogs, and medium streamers on it. If you know how to haul or double haul, you can save yourself 1 or 2 rod sizes and get more enjoyment out of the fish.

I guess if you are consistently pulling 6lb bass from a patch of lily pads than a 9wt might make sense, but I can get 25 lb stripers on my 9wt.
I guess that makes sense. My casting isnt the best on the planet, so thats probably my problem! One problem for me is the lakes with the monsters around here are pretty much all lily pads and milfoil. Once you hook them, they swim straight for the crud... Its hard to pull them out even with my Sage LMB. The bass around here are about 4-6 lbs average. Catfish are monsters too, same with the gar.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:42 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

I wish there were more catfish around here. The ones by me are pretty small and rare. I've actually never caught one on a fly rod.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:45 AM

yes the TFO mini mag is awesome, especially with the S.A. titan taper line! that thing is a cannon and accurate! as far as what nick is saying is true....my day to day small to medium CREEK rod is a 6wt. BUT as soon as i hit the ponds, lakes, or rivers i grab the 8wts.....1. because of structure like lily pads and milfoil. 2. theres big fish there

the frog came from feathercraft. i order 2 and im about to start tying them. very cool double 4/0 hooks!

btw- my mini mag is the smaller of the 2 sizes...its the 6-8wt. and throws the 8wt. titan taper( 1/2 size heavier) with ease. and even though its short like the sage, its in no way a stiff broom stick.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I wish there were more catfish around here. The ones by me are pretty small and rare. I've actually never caught one on a fly rod.
They sure are fun. Ive caught them on wooly buggers. They fight HARD and dont really get too tired quickly like bass..

Quote:
yes the TFO mini mag is awesome, especially with the S.A. titan taper line! that thing is a cannon and accurate! as far as what nick is saying is true....my day to day small to medium CREEK rod is a 6wt. BUT as soon as i hit the ponds, lakes, or rivers i grab the 8wts.....1. because of structure like lily pads and milfoil. 2. theres big fish there

the frog came from feathercraft. i order 2 and im about to start tying them. very cool double 4/0 hooks!

btw- my mini mag is the smaller of the 2 sizes...its the 6-8wt. and throws the 8wt. titan taper( 1/2 size heavier) with ease. and even though its short like the sage, its in no way a stiff broom stick.
Ive never used Sink tip line. Id imagine its a bit heaver than WFF line.

That is one thing i forgot to mention. I do most of my fishing on lake shores where i need to reach out far to get to the bass. I need something that casts further than my LMB rod. My Sage works fine on small rivers and creeks once you get used to casting it. If you put a long leader on it, you dont even have to false cast. The heavy line just just flicks the fly out there effortlessly without slapping the water and scaring the fish away.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:36 AM

yeah sink tip lines take some getting use to. and im with you.....i either have to wade or walk shorelines...no boat...YET
Old 06-28-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
yeah sink tip lines take some getting use to. and im with you.....i either have to wade or walk shorelines...no boat...YET
Haha. I stick to bait casting for boats unless im alone. ESPECIALLY on a windy day..