The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 02:17 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Good 9wt rods

I really enjoy my Redington Predator 9wt... Can bomb flesh with mine 4/0 8" flies not an issue...

As for lighter rods... Sure you may be able to land a bass on a 2wt or 6wt... But you won't wrestle them out of weedbeds and lily pads... You'll just end up with a lost fish... Lost fly... Or broken tip
bmbailes likes this.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:28 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
I really enjoy my Redington Predator 9wt... Can bomb flesh with mine 4/0 8" flies not an issue...

As for lighter rods... Sure you may be able to land a bass on a 2wt or 6wt... But you won't wrestle them out of weedbeds and lily pads... You'll just end up with a lost fish... Lost fly... Or broken tip
This is part of a pretty large fallacy about the UL world of fly fishing. Although a 2wt certainly doesn't have the backbone of a 9wt, it has far more than most people think.

Plus, if your rod is capable of pulling a 6lb bass from a patch of lily pads, then letting the fish swim around is just unneccesary, as you could easily enough drag him to shore using the same power if not in lily pads. Seems kind of unsporting to me. This is personal preference though, I don't mean to say your way is wrong, just unenviable to me personally.

If there's no chance of losing the fish, are you really fishing?
Old 06-29-2013, 03:40 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I don't know you... Maybe you're the type that would bear hunt with a .22 but I prefer the right tools for the job... I understand the whole fun with a UL rod... But sometimes the lil guys just can't get the job done right

It seems more unsporting to play a large fish half to death on the wrong tackle... But who am I to say what's right or wrong.. it's not like I'm the guy preaching to people how to properly hold a crappie but perfectly alright with exhausting fish
Old 06-29-2013, 05:56 PM

fr8dog is on a distinguished road

I have a TFO ticrx 9. Good stick. Bought it for salt, but it was overkill for bones. I use it for heavy cover bass fishing with big baits now. It does work well with a wf-10. TFO has a good warranty and excellent customer service.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:50 PM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough

Would a 6 or 8wt be a little smarter? I already have a Sage Bass, so i dont have to worry about casting the big poppers. I just cant decide what weight to go with. For saltwater, Id mainly be fishing for Redfish. Around here i mainly fish for bass. I had a 5wt and a 7wt at one time and the 5wt was fine, but the 7wt was messed up i think. It felt weird to me. what size hooks can yall cast with a 6wt and an 8wt?
Old 06-30-2013, 04:52 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

8wt.! size hooks depends on whats tied onto those hooks. i throw that double 4/0 frog i showed u with my 8wt. i also throw 2/0 clousers with it( dumbbell eyes not beadchain). if i were to get a 6wt. for the salt i would be getting a redington predator...i have the short version and it is a totally different 6wt. than any i have or have cast. its a rocket!!
Old 06-30-2013, 05:23 PM

Size of fly to rod wt is subjective... I'll bomb 1/0 clousers with 4mm dumbbell eyes on my 6wt Cabelas L-Tech
Old 06-30-2013, 06:55 PM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys. I mainly fish clousers and deceivers for my subsurface flies. Would i be able to control smaller flies at all with an 8wt?
Old 06-30-2013, 07:45 PM

Oh yeah. With little effort smaller flies will get bombed... I've thrown size #6 buggers a mile on my 9wt Predator
Old 06-30-2013, 08:03 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
I don't know you... Maybe you're the type that would bear hunt with a .22 but I prefer the right tools for the job... I understand the whole fun with a UL rod... But sometimes the lil guys just can't get the job done right

It seems more unsporting to play a large fish half to death on the wrong tackle... But who am I to say what's right or wrong.. it's not like I'm the guy preaching to people how to properly hold a crappie but perfectly alright with exhausting fish
Pretty hard to exhaust a largemouth. They give up in about 5 seconds, and the small ones can be efficiently muscled with any weight rod.

Also, I'm not saying he should use a 2wt, only that a 9wt is overkill in both distance and fish fighting power. Maybe it's not to you personally, but I think to 90% of people it is. Again, personal preference, in just telling him standard practices. I would personally end up disappointed if I bought a 9wt for LMB on someone's suggestion.

Last edited by nick k; 07-01-2013 at 07:07 AM.