The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 10:10 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Good 9wt rods

I was chucking some big ol streamers on a 3' fast sink tip on the business end of my 8'3 9wt Predator... 18" smallie put quite the bend into that rod... And made my Alpha III scream a little...Was targeting pike not bass that day... But to say it was too much for bass seems more like a matter of misunderstanding rods and wt and how they relate to fly fishing...
bmbailes likes this.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

I disagree, but I'll leave it at that.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:59 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

lets just be perfectly honest. you are not going to be capable of throwing LARGE bugs with these ultralight rods ( 1wt.-4wt.) and if you are able to put alot of work to make a cast with a bigger fly....its not going far and its not going to be as accurately place as a rod designed for bigger flies. so while i can throw big 1/0 and 2/0 weighted clousers on my 6wt....i don't..why? because too much energy is wasted trying to cast them when i can pick up my short 8wt. and make one flick of a backcast and i'm there. theres alot to think about but pick what works best in your enviroment. for me, heavy cover, lily pads, lots of overhang to snag, and TONS of panfish to **** you off biting at small flies...thats why i like the bigger guns. and then since i like creating and throwing big uglies and catching big fish that comes into play
Old 07-01-2013, 01:20 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

It's really a matter of perspective and what you NEED to be able to do, not what you CAN do. While you may need to throw 2/0 clousers 90 ft for 7lb bass, all I need to do is throw size 4 streamers 40ft to 1lb bass. What is right for you, is overkill for me. Yes if I had a 8wt I could throw those size 4 streamers a lot farther, but to no additional gain. The extra rod weight thus subtracts from my enjoyment, as fish feel becomes less, and extra distance gains me nothing.

The attraction of heavy weight rods to throw massive flies massive distances is great, but the vast majority of freshwater anglers don't need either of those in reality. Some do, granted, but most don't. A 2/0 clouser by me may be bigger than some of the bass I catch.

And again, I don't advocate for everyone to use a 2wt like me for LMB, but to say it is not a fitting tool for what I do would just be wrong. Also, to say it does not have the backbone to fight a 3 or 4lb bass would also be wrong. I have maybe only had 1 or 2 fish ever touch the reel on that rod, and I always use 4x tippet or lighter. Is it difficult to pull the bass out of some weeds? Yes, a little, but it can be done, and my satisfaction when I catch a fish is great. What more do I need? In my opinion, most people are FAR too afraid to lose even 1 fish in a day.

Personally, I'd like fishing a lot less if I was certain I would land every fish I hook. But not everyone feels the way I do.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:58 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

u just said basically what i do.......i go after big bass. i want smaller bass to shy away from my big flies. if i want to catch smaller bass then i could drop down but thats no fun to me. trust me a 6-8# bass has no problem bending my 8wt.

this is ultralight for big bass! 6WT. and #2 clouser

Click the image to open in full size.
nick k likes this.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:09 PM

An 8wt is perfect size for you then, although I've seen many of your pictures and no doubt most LMB fisherman aren't nearly as lucky as you in the size of fish you normally haul in.

I have no qualms with people choosing 8wts for bass. Too heavy for me personally and for what I get to fish for, but it makes sense for many people. I still say a 9wt is overkill, but that's just me.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:10 PM

lake flyer will become famous soon enoughlake flyer will become famous soon enough

An oldie but a goodie is the Loomis GL3. They were recommended to me by a friend who fished tarpon and snook a lot in SW Fla. I have owned one (9ft four pc.) for quite a few years, and used for stripers on the New Jersey coast. It is what I would call medium to medium fast and yet lots of heft in the butt section. They also made a Mega version with an extra strong butt section. Great for throwing BIG flies and without getting too fatigued. I haven't seen any of them for sale used but they were less than $400 new.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:16 PM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough

I think the size of bass depends on where you live. The growth period of bass in warmer areas is longer and they grow quicker, but they dont necessarily live longer. The wt of your rod depends on location. Up north, bass wont be getting as big as down here in Alabama or Texas or Fla. There will be some bass up there that are big, but not all.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake flyer View Post
An oldie but a goodie is the Loomis GL3. They were recommended to me by a friend who fished tarpon and snook a lot in SW Fla. I have owned one (9ft four pc.) for quite a few years, and used for stripers on the New Jersey coast. It is what I would call medium to medium fast and yet lots of heft in the butt section. They also made a Mega version with an extra strong butt section. Great for throwing BIG flies and without getting too fatigued. I haven't seen any of them for sale used but they were less than $400 new.
While researching these rods, Ive seen that rod mentioned a lot. Ive never owned a Loomis, but they seem great. Is it accurate?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:27 PM

captbob is on a distinguished road

I am one who is on the same track for big bass but I want to use this rod for Pike and Musky too, and river run Salmon in Michigan a couple times a year. I just found a used 9wt Legend Ultra (unused for $125.00) and the guy had a (Redington AL 9/10 with the 10WT Mastery already on it for another $85.00), bought them for a Salmon trip to Alaska 8 years ago and never made the trip. I am doing the same thing like bmbailes, I am using big fluffy fly's in the sloppiest stuff I can find, I want 6-10 lbs er's. I am also a tightwad, I want to use this for both species and Salmon.

I do have a question though, on this rod can I get away with WF8F for these 4" to 6" weedless fly's and poppers with this heavier rod, and still get any distance, 60'-90'??? I have WF10F for the bigger muskie and pike fly's. where I will be using even bigger fly's and still need a lot of distance. Well that's the rig I am stuck with, what lines should I run on it for the Bass fly's, I also got a spare spool, no line or backing so I am ready to rig what I need. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:37 AM

i would go no lower than a 9wt. line. the scientific angler titan taper or rio outbound short will cast anything you have for bass! i own both lines and love them!!!