The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 03:01 PM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough
Default Good 9wt rods

Im looking for a new rod. Preferably a 9wt for bass and saltwater fishing. Im looking at used rods because i can get some nice rods for cheaper. For now, im looking at a Scott a2 and a Sage vt2. Does anyone have any experience with these two? Im used to a fast action rod, but I feel like i might enjoy a Medium-Fast rod.

Ive considered going with TFO, but ive never tried one of their rods.

Any suggestions and input is well appreciated!

Thanks
Reid
Old 06-27-2013, 04:24 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Good 9wt rods

I don't have any experience with the Scott A2, but I have a Sage VT-2 in a 6 weight. It has a great feel, and I've found it to be just the right blend of being not too fast and not too slow. It can really punch line out there. At the time the VT-2 was being offered by Sage, it was a great performer at a more reasonable price point than their flagship rods.

-VB
Old 06-27-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
I don't have any experience with the Scott A2, but I have a Sage VT-2 in a 6 weight. It has a great feel, and I've found it to be just the right blend of being not too fast and not too slow. It can really punch line out there. At the time the VT-2 was being offered by Sage, it was a great performer at a more reasonable price point than their flagship rods.

-VB

How is the casting distance? Im looking at one thats $200, so im trying to find out if thats a good price.

Is it accurate?
Old 06-27-2013, 05:11 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

I can get tremendous distance with the VT-2. That said, I have a Rio Grande line on it, so it is a 1/2 line heavier than a typical 6-wt line. It was recommended when I bought the rod as being a good fit for it. I'm no professional distance caster, but I've occasionally sent all of the fly line out there with just a few feet to spare on the reel.

A friend of mine has been fly fishing much longer than I. He tried out my VT-2 a few times and could not believe how good it felt. He ended up buying one for himself. He works in the fly fishing business, and has tried most of what's out there. He was impressed with the VT-2. When they were new on the market, I bought my 6-wt for about $400. The heavier weights were incrementally more, but I believe all were under $500. The 9-wt will have an anodized reel seat, where my six weight has a wood insert.

-VB
Old 06-27-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
I can get tremendous distance with the VT-2. That said, I have a Rio Grande line on it, so it is a 1/2 line heavier than a typical 6-wt line. It was recommended when I bought the rod as being a good fit for it. I'm no professional distance caster, but I've occasionally sent all of the fly line out there with just a few feet to spare on the reel.

A friend of mine has been fly fishing much longer than I. He tried out my VT-2 a few times and could not believe how good it felt. He ended up buying one for himself. He works in the fly fishing business, and has tried most of what's out there. He was impressed with the VT-2. When they were new on the market, I bought my 6-wt for about $400. The heavier weights were incrementally more, but I believe all were under $500. The 9-wt will have an anodized reel seat, where my six weight has a wood insert.

-VB

Sweet! Does it handle fish well too?
Old 06-27-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidsisk View Post
Sweet! Does it handle fish well too?
It sure does. It gives really good feedback. It feels like it has a decent amount of backbone without having a broom stick feel. I have an Xi3 in a 6-wt, and it's a broomstick by comparison, but I use it in salt water.

The VT-2 is more forgiving and a great all-around rod. I've used it for stillwater trout, largemouth bass, and many other species.

I would expect the 9-wt VT-2 to perform really well for the big stuff in fresh and saltwater.

-VB
Old 06-27-2013, 07:58 PM

flyfishn28 is on a distinguished road

I love my Sage xp 9wt cant live without it cast far but can still give a soft presentation.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:16 PM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

for you, just in case: Tips For Buying Used Rods;

Buy what you like best!

Last edited by argail; 06-27-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I'd look around for used Sage RPLXi or Xi2 or Xi3, Scott S3S or S4S or X2S. You can find them at good prices if you look hard enough. If you really want to fish saltwater, get a rod designed for saltwater. You can really lean into a hard fighting fish.

Good luck with your search.

Dennis
Old 06-28-2013, 07:44 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Because you mentioned TFO, I have a friend with a 9wt Professional II and he is very happy with it.

As a personal note, I wouldn't use a 9wt for bass, unless you mean striped bass. WAY overkill on LMB or SMB.