The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 03:45 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Crappie with a Fly Rod?

great report guys........crappie are fine table fare........indeed!!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 07-16-2013, 08:13 AM

fishers_fisherman will become famous soon enough

Question from a newb here, just getting started out with fly's, probably looking to upgrade my rod/reel in the next few weeks (from the old Shakespeare outfit I'm learning on) and weighing my options between a few 5 and 6wt starter outfits (Reddington Pursuit 9ft 6wt current frontrunner). Realistically for the near future most of my fishing is going to be confined to the neighborhood ponds and nearby river (Central IN) and after reading through a few threads on here I'm wondering if a 6wt is going to be overkill for what I'll be going after (bluegill/crappie). From everything I've been able to pick up on after visiting the local shops and casting a few different rods/wts, the overall consensus has been the 6wt is the pretty much the go-to utility rod for what folks around here use. Just wondering if anyone here had any input or advice on going with something lighter vs mid range for stuff like this.
Appreciate any input, thanks--Jon
Old 07-16-2013, 08:20 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Bigjim: Nice flies, but where are the softhackles?

Gotta keep a few "bugs" for the bluegill.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:45 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
From everything I've been able to pick up on after visiting the local shops and casting a few different rods/wts, the overall consensus has been the 6wt is the pretty much the go-to utility rod for what folks around here use. Just wondering if anyone here had any input or advice on going with something lighter vs mid range for stuff like this.
Appreciate any input, thanks--Jon
Back when I started FF there was nobody to ask. I am also from Central IN but a little east of you. I would advise you to start with a 5wt as a generally all round rod. Not a big difference from a 6wt but then as you want to add rods to expand your fly capability size you can go to the next odd number weight rods. 3, 7, 9, and cover a good range of needs. I 5wt will not way over power a BG and will handle some of the smaller bass bugs and streamers. Then when you want a great rod for gills you can go to a 3wt or if bass is your next jump a 7wt will handle most bugs except for the really big stuff.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:19 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Generally I do the majority of my Crappie fishing in the spring but I really enjoy catching them on summer nights when they move close to shore and feed. When there is an evening caddis hatch all heck can break loose when they go on a feeding frenzy where every cast will envoke a strike! Also it seems that the bigger fish tend to feed by shore in the evening and when no hatch is on they tend to slurp your offerings leaving no telltale sign of a hit. Generally if you dont react quickly to this gentle take the Crappie will have spit your fly before you can set the hook making it that more challenging!
The bonus aspect of targeting them at night is the Largemouth Bass that many times feed in the same shallow water at this time! Many a night I have got a mess of Crappies with a nice big LM in the mix!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-16-2013, 04:40 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the comments about my flies! I have other boxes chock full of "bugs" for Bluegills. Even a few soft hackles!

Jon, your question is like asking whether a light spinning rod would be better than a ultra light for those panfishes, if you can relate to that. Both will work, but the light action rod would be a little more than you need if the fish are on the smaller side. You could still catch a lot of Bluegills or Crappies with either one & have a blast. The ultra light gives you a little more edge with smaller weights or lures, and the light gives you more rod if you hook something bigger.

A 6 wt is a good general purpose rod, and has the advantage of allowing you to go a little bigger with the flies if you decide you want to chase bass or even carp. No single rod will be perfect for all fishes, just as no single spinning, baitcasting or trolling rod is ideal for all.

I like to use a 3 or 4 wt for some of the bluegills & other panfishes around my area when they're my primary target, and either can handle the occasional small bass, or bigger Crappies or Perch. I also like them for some small streams where there are both panfishes & bass, but the bass are also small, usually 12" or smaller.

If I'm targeting bass, but happy catching the panfishes, then my 6 wt is what I'll use.

I've caught quite a few bass on a 6 wt & even some Striped bass up to 30", but I've caught a lot more Bluegill's, Crappies & perch with it, and had fun doing it.

If you're content with smaller fish, then a 3 to 5 wt would likely be a better choice than the 6 wt. The 6 wt just gives you a little more rod if you get the opportunity to chase something a bit bigger.

There's no wrong answer to which rod would be best, and all in that 3 to 6 range are fine for panfish. Just goes back to my analogy about the spinning rods.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-17-2013, 12:13 AM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

Super heat wave in PA all this week! But, at twilight it's so comfy sitting in my float tube. This lake was 81 today at the surface!

The crappie seem to holdup at the weed edge in about 12' to 15' of water. I've been catchin' pretty good with tiny jigs on my UL spin, but I can't wait until my Helios is fixed and sent back to me!

Every twilight, there must be 10,000 Bluegills and 5,000 White Perch at the surface! As soon as I get my flyrod back ....... I think I might have a sore arm for a while!

Final outcome:

With my spin rod, I can catch a dozen nice crappie (good eating from a clean lake)

With my fly rod, I can catch >100 panfish ('gills and perch, maybe a crappie) also good eating? if I want to keep any?

I could use my 5wt or my 6wt, but I think I'll stay with my spin until my Helios arrives. After you fish with a great fly rod, you won't want to fish with anything else ...... and I just spent some $ on a new UL spin outfit!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:50 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Funny all this crappie-talk. I just returned from a trip to visit family in Missouri and their farm pond, which was previously home to hybrid sunfish, bass and a few channel cats, is now overrun with crappie! They said they "knew better" than to add crappie, but wanted to try it anyway. So the whole trip there I literally ONLY caught crappie---but some were large and we ended up getting enough to fry up after 3 days of fishing. I wasn't at all disappointed about this.

I caught most on woolly buggers (tied with longer marabou tails like I prefer -- about 1.5X hook shank length) and little marabou minnows. I've caught them here in VA on mickey finns like crazy, so basically any smallish minnow pattern seems to work fine.