The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 01:48 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Night is Gurgler Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
Last week I was asking the forum where to buy Gartside Gurgler online, but yesterday I have decided to buy tying kits and material to tie them myself.
thank you for your posting.
When you get up to speed on it, you can tie one up in two minutes.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:36 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
When you get up to speed on it, you can tie one up in two minutes.
two minutes? I'd be lucky to get the first one right in 20 minutes.
btw, I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but do you think a rotary vise is a necessity? I am eyeing on the Griffin Spider Vise.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:44 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you have the need to spin the hook on its own axis, a rotary vise is nice to have.

For such a simple fly like the Gurgler, a rotary vise is not necessary.

Dennis
Old 07-05-2013, 12:45 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
two minutes? I'd be lucky to get the first one right in 20 minutes.
btw, I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but do you think a rotary vise is a necessity? I am eyeing on the Griffin Spider Vise.
Any vise will do! Gurglers are easy if you cut your foam strips in advance to the correct size . I tie a simple but effective one and it's basically 4 steps . 1- Tie in the tail 2- Tie in the foam 3- wrap the body 4- fold the foam over and tie off. Done ! Simple , quick and it works!
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-05-2013, 12:49 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post and great pictures! The Gurgler is such a great fly for warm water fishing. I don't do a ton of it, but when I do that's a fly that always gets wet. They're simple to tie and you can make them in so many variations and as your post proves, they are fish catchers!

I have to agree with you guys, I miss the old PA licenses with stamps. These new print outs from the store or the ones you can buy online and print from your computer just don't do it for me. I always used to look forward to seeing what was going to be on the stamp. Those were the days.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:49 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Two minutes is rushing it! More like 2 minutes and 35 seconds! Haha!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:58 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Two minutes is rushing it! More like 2 minutes and 35 seconds! Haha!
LOL!!!
I'll try to do it in 12 minutes and 35 seconds then.

thank you for the tip boss.
theboz likes this.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:25 PM

dryfly256 will become famous soon enough

Good looking fish!
Old 07-07-2013, 06:12 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Nice fish John, but who surgerized your arm? That don't look like a Tommy John. milt
theboz likes this.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
Nice fish John, but who surgerized your arm? That don't look like a Tommy John. milt
I usually tell people I got that from trying to land a shark. It actually was done to replace one of my arterys.

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Never needed Tommy John I was behind the plate!
milt spawn likes this.