The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 03:21 PM

dryfly256 will become famous soon enough
Default Reel advice

I hope everybody had a good Fourth of July. Here is my predicament... Ill be fishing for LMB here in Alabama so im getting a bigger flyrod and reel. I am trying to figure out if I need to spend 150 + on a reel? I fly fish for bream and the occasional bass on my 4 wt and have put one 3lbr on the reel. So any suggestions comments would be great. My local fly shop is pushing a 200 dollar reel that I don't think is necessary. Thanks for the help in advance.

Dryfly256

2 Corinthians 4:16-18
Old 07-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Reel advice

If economy is a concern, finding an old Pflueger Medalist 1495 in good shape will be a good choice for bass and brim. No they don't look cool like the new anodized large arbor reels. However they have a fairly good and serviceable drag system and will hold a DT 7 or * with some room for backing. If you were to watch the auction site for the 1495 1/2 model, these are a wider spool and will provide more space for backing. Another 'if', if you use a WF 7 or 8 weight line it will fit the narrower 1495 with room to spare.

The reel I speak of could be bought for 35 dollars or perhaps less on eBay. They are a classic and will work great for your fishing.

The large reel at the left is a 1495, I used a DT 7 on that for pike & bass for a lot of years.
Click the image to open in full size.

Ard
caseywise likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-05-2013, 05:29 PM

jml43 is on a distinguished road

I have couple of sage reels but for the money you can't go wrong with the Okuma slv reels. I have them in 7 and 10wt and love them. I have used them for over two years with no problem.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:35 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

An expensive reel is most definitely NOT necessary for largemouth as they very rarely make runs or take out line. Especially with a heavier rod, it will be unlikely that you ever make use of your reels drag. My advice would be to get a cheap option around $50. In this price range, you can get decent quality construction, and that's about all you need as you will just be using it to hold your line.

I primarily fish for LMB and I've maybe had a grand total of 5 fish utilize my drag.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:09 PM

Hey thanks for the help. The money is not an issue I would much rather put that money towards the rod or line. I want my whole outfit to be under 400 is that possible ? I'm going to bass pro shop 2morrow so ill put this advice to good use.

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

I just found a sage 1800 on sale at cabelas for 89.99
Old 07-06-2013, 08:04 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

The sage 1800 is a good reel, but here's what I generally think of reels on sale that are otherwise out of your price rang: While you may get the reel at a once offered discount price, the spools will most likely not be discounted, and will probably come close to the sale price of the reel. This means that if you want that to be a primary reel, and you plan on eventually buying multiple spools, you will be paying for that reel full price multiple times over in the end.

PERSONALLY, I am more confortable buying a full price reel inside my budget and knowing that multiple spools will later be in my budget as well.

And YES, $400 can absolutely get you a great bass setup. I would look at some of the TFO or Echo rods. The Echo Ion reels might be nice matches as well. If you aren't looking to go pro, you can skimp a little on the line (some might disagree). I would say get a line around $30-45. Just pick up some spools of 16lb and 12lb tippet to make leaders and tippet. Nothing fancy needed for bass, that's the great part about them.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:30 AM

I apologize for not putting this in the fly reel section of the forum. Thanks Nick K I didn't even think about stuff like that it was a great point, because I am going to need multiple spools. I have a tfo finesse series on 4 wt but I like the ion in 7 or 8 wt is the ion reel going to be okay I just like the look of the large Arbour reels.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:54 AM

I just bought an Ion 8/10 for my Spey rod. Thy have gotten very good reviews and Echo is great when it comes to customer service and fixing mistakes. The spools are also only like $35 I think so all in all I'd say its a good decision. Like someone else said the Okuma SLVs are also good if your looking to go cheaper.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:09 AM

Then I'm probably going to go with the ion then for the rod and reel. I'm walking into BPS right now so I appreciate it.

Dryfly256
Old 07-06-2013, 12:42 PM

What did you end up with?