The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 01:21 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Carp Thread

John,

Great fish! I'm guessing you're using at least an 8 wt or carp that size. Would be fun to try with my 6 wt, but suspect that would be a reach.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:58 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

I fish a 7 wt Helios 2. The 8 would be appropriate but I fish small flies so the 7 is a little easier to present them with.

Carp on the Fly
Old 07-07-2013, 02:20 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by john montana View Post
I fish a 7 wt Helios 2. The 8 would be appropriate but I fish small flies so the 7 is a little easier to present them with.
I'm assuming that you use a 7w trout flyline?

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-07-2013, 02:41 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Right now I am fishing the orvis carp line. I have used the rio as well. Any standard weight forward fly line seems fine but of it can load in close that is the best. A lot of shots are 30 ft and closer. I have tried the rio grande and a few others but somethig front loaded seems to be te eat for what I do.

Carp on the Fly
Old 07-07-2013, 05:14 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Hooked what was easily a 20 pound carp about an hour ago and had him on for 20 mins. Had some guy helping trying to tail him. Had his head out of water and floating several times but there is a steep rocky embankment at the reservoir and its hard to reach fish. Guy tried to tail him but grabbed the line like I told him not to, carp gave one last kick an snapped the line.

It was literally as close as it could have possibly been to caught. If he bobbed up closer on any of the 5 occasions he did than I would have had him. Second time this has happened. The guy felt bad that he grabbed the line and I was really bummed but I didn't blame him, standard protocol with most fish. I was using 4x so I'm sure he wasn't expecting such light line holding such a large fish. Maybe I should have just tried to land him myself.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
Joni,

Since you have a lot of experience catching carp on flies, any thoughts on whether or not a #10 hook is too small? What size hook do you typically use?

Thanks.
I think the size I use most is #8 in an Octopus style hook.

Now if I could just get pictures like John, I would be complete...;-)
theboz likes this.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:54 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I think the size I use most is #8 in an Octopus style hook.

Now if I could just get pictures like John, I would be complete...;-)
I WOULD RATHER GET FISH LIKE JOHN ! Ill save the pictures for later!
Joni likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-09-2013, 09:58 AM

hookedonthefly is on a distinguished road

hello, i live in walnutport pa.. i am close to lehihg countyan northampton county. i am trying to get into fly fishign for carp.

is there anyone close to me that fishes for these wonderful fish? i would like to find areas to do so.. i would also like to get some tipsand tactics.. i am new to the carp scene.

thanks!!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:52 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonthefly View Post
hello, i live in walnutport pa.. i am close to lehihg countyan northampton county. i am trying to get into fly fishign for carp.

is there anyone close to me that fishes for these wonderful fish? i would like to find areas to do so.. i would also like to get some tipsand tactics.. i am new to the carp scene.

thanks!!
I'm from Harrisburg but new to the carp scene... Once I get my ducks in a row here, I'll pm ya and vise versa

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-10-2013, 12:12 PM

superbike1 is on a distinguished road

After reading this thread, I tried the local carp population and found that I could sneak up on them and throw anything I had and they would just eat right past it. Maybe I need to try a little more. Maybe I need to try some flys that look like grass? All I know is there are some that are close to 5 ft long. I can get within 20 ft of them before they decide I am close enough. Huge fish, I just gotta catch one to feel the raw power in the rod! I know where so many are. I must have seen 50 or more one morning,while out fishing with my son. Gotta get back there and try again. Keep the photos and stories coming,they're my motivation. LoL!
hailfly likes this.