The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rickf
  • 1 Post By jdyers34

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 12:33 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default Carp on Dry Flies

This one is for you Nick and Joni and John:

williamhj likes this.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:56 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Carp on Dry Flies

I've seen that one actually. It's a very impressive video, and just goes to show you the variation in fishing techniques for carp depending on their location. All shot right by a major road too, although that's where I catch my carp.

I hooked a 20lb carp yesterday on a corn fly. Fought him for 20 mins. Had him head out of water and bobbing several times but just a foot too far from shore and there's a steep rocky embankment at the spot. Had a guy helping me try to tail him since it's hard to do it all yourself with the embankment. Carp finally came up real close, guy grabbed the line like I told him not to (I was using 4x), carp gave one last kick and push, line snapped, and off he went. Heartbreaking.

Last edited by nick k; 07-30-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:38 AM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Love that video...

Carp on the Fly
Old 07-19-2013, 10:37 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Nice vid, looks like it was taped Taiwan or Japan.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:32 AM

redloco is on a distinguished road

That I believe is the Han River in Seoul. the writing on one of the signs in the back ground is Korean, but I am not a hundred percent exactly where....
Old 07-20-2013, 06:38 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

There's a previous thread to this story. The guy was using a bread fly.

What is this guy using?
Old 07-21-2013, 09:05 PM

jdyers34 is on a distinguished road

I got this guy this morning on a size 16 elk hair caddis. There was a small school of carp slurping bugs in a pond.
Click the image to open in full size.
john montana likes this.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:47 AM

hailfly has a spectacular aura abouthailfly has a spectacular aura about

Here in Oklahoma there where over a hundred carp and maybe some catfish, eating these off the top of the lake, by the time I got my boat and returned there were only around a dozen fish or so, trolling batteries dead, very disapointing. My questing is what are these and what would be the fly to use, they look like a brown march ? but they are black. THey are a different color on the south end of the lake I'll but a picture up of those.
Thanks guys, catching a carp on a fly rod is just about all I can think about these days.
K B Toth

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 AM ----------

One from the south side of the lake, definitely not the same color as the ones
on the North end of the lake, or am I just wrong ? Sorry I dont have a close up of the ones from the North end.
K B Toth

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 AM ----------

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:11 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Looks like some sort of mayfly or drake, but I don't know too much about bug species. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will weigh in soon.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by innes View Post
There's a previous thread to this story. The guy was using a bread fly.

What is this guy using?
Bread flys are deadly! Many lakes and ponds where people feed the ducks with bread have carp and catfish that cleanup the excess.
There used to be a guy on LI who specialized in catching monster carp and WR Bullheads by floating bread on a fine wire hook and ultralite tackle. I had the opportunity to fish several times with his group and did great with a white foam popper while they floated their bread. Very fun way to catch these bottom feeders!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser