The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 08:48 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BIG Bass fly casting help

In my opinion the Sage Bass series rods are BLATANT overkill. The largemouth one is what would be a 10wt. To put that in perspective, I use a 9wt for saltwater striped bass and I generally feel its a little heavy for them.

I have no doubt that if Sage listed the species specific rods in standard weight format instead of grain weights (which confuse most fisherman) than they would be far less popular. No one needs to throw a 3/0 deer hair popper 80 feet into high wind and then pull the bass out of a tree stump with 2 other smaller bass on dropper flies.

Don't go higher than an 8wt or I personally think you will be disappointed in your fishing experience. As I've said before on other threads, many people get caught up in what a rod CAN do and not what the angler actually NEEDS to do. The SAGE Bass is a perfect example of telling the angler all the wonderful things they can do and all the huge bugs they can throw, but not actually going them what they need. A stiff broomstick can fight a bass too, but I wouldn't use it.

Last edited by nick k; 07-08-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:04 AM

haulingmario is on a distinguished road

My Bluegill Sage Bass rod is 3 7/16 oz and I have a Abu Garcia Conolon 5-6 wt 8' 3oz flyrod that is the same diameter as the Sage Bass rod so its about a 6 wt.
The Sage feels lighter and is well balanced the Abu Garcia is very tip heavy,they cast very near the same but I would never use the Garcia I would get fatigued.
But I agree Nick the OTHER Sage Bass rods are overkill for LMB,heck I have seen a video of a guy catch a 40lb Golden Dorado with the Sage Bass Smallmouth rod in Argentina.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:18 AM

fr8dog is on a distinguished road

Another thing to consider is what you are throwing into. For some places I fish, a 6 is just fine. For others, with heavier cover, an 8 is necessary to be able to horse them out of the sticks. I have a 9 that I use in some situations, but not very often.

I'm usually making shorter casts, so I just use straight mono for leaders. Again, you take your conditions into account for line wt.

For me, in OK, with our conditions, if I had only one rod, it would be an 8.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:08 AM

muppetmullet81 is on a distinguished road

Sage makes great rods. But so does almost everyone else for half the the price. TFO, Reddington, even the bass pro white river HEAT is a great bass fly rod. Most important is you want a wt. between 6-9. Ten wt. is way to much rod. And 5 wt is not enough. A 7 or 8 wt is are best. If you want to compete in B.A.S.S your rod needs to be under 8 ft in lengh. But just for the sport of fishing I think a 9ft 7 or 8 wt rod is your ticket. You don't need to spent a ton of money on a reel because bass will very, very very rarely run on you. They are going to pull up their sleeves and fight you in close. Wt forward floating line and a simple 6 ft lengh of 20lb mono with a 2 ft lengh of 12 mono for tippet. With that set up you can throw anything with from big dumbell eyes and heavy cone noses. To soft damsel flies. Poppers are no proublem and streames are like casting a dream. Bass fly fishing is all the fun of trout fishing without all the snobby fly fisherman. Have fun and good luck
Old 07-09-2013, 10:57 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

lots of good advice here! i tend to grab a certain wt. rod for a few reasons...

1. how big of a fly do i want to throw?
2. what type of water and structure will i be fishing?
3. will wind effect my casting?
4. are there good chances of hooking a bruiser?

and thats basically the order i go by. i tend to fish 6-8wts. alot for bass. if i just want to target a variety of fish i grab a 9' 5 or 6wt. now i have 2 and 4 wt. that i take to small spring streams. they are a blast and i have actually caught a big LM on the 4wt....BUT, it wasnt fun to me. sure the fish fought and it took a bit of time to land. only way i can describe it, its like deer hunting with a 22lr, sure it can and people have killed deer with such a light round but doesnt seem right ( on top of being illegal). just ask yourself the 4 questions above and that will help alot. some days though its just fun throwing big bugs and watching the action.
MoscaPescador likes this.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:02 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

There is not a bass out there that a 6wt will not handle. ....unless you need to horse it out of heavy cover. The need for a heavy rod is to cast really large bugs and to cast into some heavy wind of which both conditions I avoid. If a bug is too big to throw with a 7 or 8 I either modify it or pitch it. There are fellas out there that throw 10" streamers at bass and pike and a 7 or 8wt rod does not do that very well. It does take a 9 or even a 10wt. The rod size is not about the size of the fish in this case. It is about the size flies you want to throw. Don't buy a 7wt and expect to throw a 10" streamer or a 2" diameter popper or hair bug. I personally fish for relaxation and fun and bugs of this size are not fun or relaxing to cast, on any rod.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:28 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

This thread started with a question about casting BIG bass flies
That's 1/0, 2/0, & 3/0 in my book.
I can cast those easily on the rods that I use
If you can do the same with a 6wt, then you're a better man than I
Old 07-09-2013, 12:10 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Most people also THINK they need to cast 3/0 to catch big bass. This is almost always not the case. Sometimes it is, and maybe it is for you, but it's something to consider whether or not that is a logical fly size and desire for your area.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:18 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Most people also THINK they need to cast 3/0 to catch big bass. This is almost always not the case. Sometimes it is, and maybe it is for you, but it's something to consider whether or not that is a logical fly size and desire for your area.
If you've never done it then there no way for you to know that it's actually a lot of fun to fish the big bugs.
Seriously...... don't knock it 'till you've tried it.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:21 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

The 7wt and 8wt are probably ideal for any BIG bass bugs, but 6wt can handle up to size 2/0 with double hauling. I have the Redington Predator 6wt 7'10" with Rio 6wt Power Fly line for small water or pond fishing. With that setup 40-50ft is my max accuracy. I don't think you need a bass tapered line, a Rio outbound will help to cast large bugs but again you don't need it either. Learn to double haul and know when to open your loop. If you are worry about turning over the big bugs, you can use your old trout leader, cut it to 4-5FT length from the butt, make a loop and you have your bass tapered leader or get Aiflo Polyleader 4FT for bass/pike, use heavier tippet for dense cover.

That Predator setup is also my trout and carp rod and basically my go to rod. That 6wt made me sold my 5wt and 7ft actually.